High proportion of CRC errors on ports with MR16 Access Points

jemurray
Just browsing

High proportion of CRC errors on ports with MR16 Access Points

We have had a ticket open with Meraki for over a year now trying to resolve the "High proportion of CRC errors" on ports that are connected to our MR16 access points.

Screen Shot 2019-10-28 at 9.16.13 PM.png

These errors happen on 4 different switches, in 4 different buildings, on dozens of different ports.

The switches are MS220 and MS22P

We have replaced access points, replaced cables, moved switch ports, attached access points directly to switches via short patch cables, updated firmware, tried beta firmware, created new broadcast domains for the AP to limit broadcast / multicast traffic, factory reset numerous devices, etc.

All the switches are on line conditioning UPS's and located in different buildings with separate power feeds.  The switches are all connected via fiber, so there is no 'electrical interference' between switches.

In addition to the CRC errors we have to reboot the AP's almost daily because devices will stop connecting to the SSID.  The SSID is visible, but no longer accepts new connections.

Has anyone else experienced this problem.   Up until a year ago the Meraki system was working well.

Support has not been able to resolve the issue and our teachers, who use the wireless network on a daily basis, are getting fed up with the problems. 

Thank You,

Jason

2 REPLIES 2
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Not sure about the CRC issue
As for the MR16, yes I have seen this. There are only two fixes that I know of (one better than the other).

1. Replace the MR16 with something new, like MR33. MR16 is old and has been failing hard ever since 25.x+ firmware
2. Convince your account rep to get support to allow you to downgrade to 24.X (latest) and that should make things more stable. However I would also recommend a scheduled reboot of them during non-production hours, just to make sure they don't have enough up-time to run into any bug
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
Nash
Kind of a big deal

If you go with the schedule reboot method, you can do this directly with a script now without having to toggle switchports... (I am a broken record, scripting all the things.)

You want: https://dashboard.meraki.com/api_docs#reboot-a-device

1. Pull a list of your devices

2. Filter it for only MRs by checking the model name

3. You'll get a list of dicts that include the serial number and networkId

4. For dict in list, call the reboot command

Now schedule it as a cron job. 🙂 Or a Windows task I guess.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels