Help with Trunking and VLANs

SOLVED
MrMDStreet
Conversationalist

Help with Trunking and VLANs

Hi,

I have been told that the following should be possible on a Meraki network using Trunks and VLANs:

111EBD1B-DE0A-435F-9CCD-2162C2FE71D2.jpeg

CCTV NVR > Ethernet VGA Sender > MS220-48FP > MS120-48LP (In a different building) > Ethernet VGA Receiver

This will be the first time I have done anything like this and was hoping that someone would be able to talk me through the steps or tell me that it is actually not possible. 

VGA senders are the ones Here

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Edit, scratch that, you have chosen VGA over UTP (CAt5/6 etc.) NOT Ethernet, so it will not work.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Greenberet
Head in the Cloud

Hi,

I don't think that you can achieve that with vlans. I don't know this particular product, but all of the VGA/HDMI over ethernet cable extenders I know require a straight ethernet cabling infrastructure. They don't really speak "ethernet". They just support the cabling, so that you can use for example the existing rj45 patch panels and get the video over a longer distance.

Thank you.

I kind of thought that would be the case.

Sucks though. Oh well. 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@MrMDStreet  It should work fine, what you need to do is:

MS220-48FP - port that sender is attached to: access VLAN 75 (just one you haven't used before)

MS220-48FP - port that goes to other building: trunk (by default all VLANs will be carried in the trunk)

MS120-48LP - port that comes from the other building: trunk

MS120-48LP - port that receiver is attached to: access VLAN 75 (well, the same as the first port configured)

The sender and the receiver are now in the same VLAN and should be able to see each other.  Put them on compatible IP addresses if they are layer 3 (same subnet) or if pure layer 2 it should be working.

There are distance limitations with VGA over CAT5/6 etc. but it is a latency/subnet limitation when over ethernet so you should be fine unless your buildings are very far away from each other.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Edit, scratch that, you have chosen VGA over UTP (CAt5/6 etc.) NOT Ethernet, so it will not work.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

MrMDStreet
Conversationalist

Awesome, thank you.

We already had the UTP devices in place so was hoping that it would be a thing we could achieve with the kit we have but oh well.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels