Help ***Stratix 5700 to Meraki MS125 EtherChannel set up***

SOLVED
BBC_REH
Conversationalist

Help ***Stratix 5700 to Meraki MS125 EtherChannel set up***

I am trying to configure an EtherChannel between a Stratix 5700 (Cisco product) and a Meraki MS125. 

Stratix 5700 config: STP is set as MSTP and am using 3 ports.  All 3 ports are configured as:  Auto Speed, Auto Duplex, Trunk, Native VLAN 3, Allow all VLANs.  The I combined them into an EtherChannel using device manager.  FA1/14, FA1/15, and FA1/16 Channel# =1, Channel Mode = LACP (Active).  This creates a new port called Po1.  Po1 configuration: Auto Speed, Auto Duplex, Trunk, Native VLAN 3, Allow all VLANs.

Meraki MS125 config: STP set to RSTP. 3 ports 13,14, and 15 all set as Auto Speed, Auto Duplex, Trunk, Native VLAN 3, Allow VLANS 1,3,11,12 - choose all 3 ports the select Link Aggregation.  

When I do this the link comes up with connectivity and then fall out.  I get an error message in the syslog of the 5700 saying %PM-4-ERR_DISABLE: Channel-misconfig (STP) error detected on Po1, putting Po1 in err-disable state. Any advise on setting up the Meraki side would be greatly apricated.  The only options on the 5700 side is to choose the Channel Mode.  If it should be something other than LCAP (Active) let me know, please.  Thank you in advance for your help.  

Roger Henley
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

OK I'm on my computer now so I'll be able to type a longer answer than on my phone.

You gave alot of explanation about your topology in text form which I will not analyse.  It's too much 😜  However I do see you have multiple of these stratix switches that connect over different links towards the meraki switch.

So you just need to focus on what is actually going wrong.

1) your port channel initially comes up
 -> this means your lacp negotiation and timers are matching and this works

2) STP is working on individual links and you have a stable topology

3) you first gave the info that the interfaces are shut down due to STP channel misconfig

Point 3 is where you need to focus.

Use case for the channel-misconfig feature:
Port-channel misconfig is a feature that is primarily meant for static port-channels.  If you for example create a port channel on a switch and you connect both links to another switch.  That will work fine.  However if you were to connect one link to one switch and another to a totally different switch (not a stackmember or linecard on the same switch) then you would get really weird STP behavior on your network.

Operation:
So the misconfig checks for incoming BPDU's.  If you have a working port-channel on the neighbor switch it will only send BPDU's over one of the links, however if you mis uplink to another switch your switch will receive BPDU's from both switches and the bridge-id will not match.  Following this the spanning-tree etherchannel guard misconfig will fire and will put your ports into err-disable until your err-disable recovery kicks in and re-enables the ports and the cycle continues after receiving new BPDU's

In your case, you are presumably correctly uplinking your switches however you are still receiving BPDU's with different bridge id's  how is this possible...?

Normal BPDU's from STP, RSTP and MSTP are sent with the normal destination MAC address 01:80:c2:00:00:00.  These are understood by the Meraki MS switch and will be processed.  However Cisco switches by default run PVST+ or RPVST and these use 01:00:0c:cc:cc:cd.  Meraki switches do not run PVST+ or PVST so these frames are seen as regular multicast frames and are just forwarded on.

But you are running MSTP... so what gives..?

Well in a Cisco MSTP network whenever you have a boundary port.  That is a port that links to a switches that runs some other flavor of STP it will do a PVST simulation and will send Cisco PVST+ or RPVST BPDU's on each VLAN on that port for compatibility.  So if you connect two cisco switches to the same Meraki MS switch those switches will see both BPDU's from the Meraki switch but will also see each other just as if they were directly connected and this WILL cause problems.

So how to fix this:

2 options

- You turn OFF PVST simulation if the firmware on the Stratix switches allow sit.  This way it will prevent those switches to send PVST frames on boundary ports

- If that is not an option or you have another device running PVST+ like a router with a switch module or ports in a bridge group then the other choice is to just disable the guard feature with following global config command: no spanning-tree etherchannel guard misconfig.  This will turn off the check but please take care in using lacp where possible and be very carefull around static port-channels.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The channel misconfig happens if the Cisco device receives BPDU's from other Cisco devices behind the MS switch.  Is it possible there are other Cisco products at the other end of the MS125 switch?

If there are you will have to make sure they also run MSTP and disable PVST simulation.  Or else those switches will send PVST BPDU's on each VLAN and the MS125 will just pass them through.

BBC_REH
Conversationalist

The topology is 2 sections of OT network VLAN3 / 192.168.3.x and VLAN 4 / 192.168.4.x are tied together via a fiber connection between 2 Meraki MS125 switches.  The OT networks have several Stratix 5700 switches each (12) on VLAN 3 and (7) on VLAN 4.  The OT Servers hang off the Meraki switches VLAN 3 has 2 severs on VLAN 3 Meraki ports and VLAN 4 has 1 server on VLAN 4 Meraki port.  There is also a router / firewall on the VLAN 3 Meraki that routes between VLANs and other things.  Anyway, all the 5700 switches use MSTP and the Meraki's use RSTP but everything is fine.  EtherChannel between 5700s is straight forward and very easy to do, although you have to use CLI to enable / disable individual ports in an EtherChannel, Once the EtherChannel is configured the device manager web based config tool for 5700s wont allow you to effect the individual ports of an EtherChannel, only the full channel can have setting changes.  Anyway, Everything works well as is but there is a single point of failure on VLAN3 where a single cable controls the connectivity of all OT devices on VLAN 3 to the servers.  I was hoping to add redundancy to the system by creating an EtherChannel between the 5700 that ties the entire VLAN 3 OT network to the servers hanging off the VLAN 3 Meraki.  Each time I try to configure the channel just bounces up and down.  It will stay up for about 3 - 4 minutes then all links will drop out for about 30 seconds then come back up.  When connectivity is lost the Channel disappears from the MSTP table.  It doesn't say BLK or ALT it goes away completely.  I have tried lowering the STP priority on the 5700 to force it to Master.  It works it becomes master but the same thing happens it falls out for 30 seconds every 3-4 minutes.  Then I tried disabling RSTP on the trunk ports of the Meraki ( lost all connectivity) Error messages are always the same in syslog: %PM-4-ERR_DISABLE: Channel-misconfig (STP) error detected on Po1, putting Po1 in err-disable state.  I wouldn't normally be so free with config changes on my network but I am in shutdown so production doesn't need access to servers till 7/13.  Any advice would be great.  I'm an just about out of ideas.  

Roger Henley
GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

OK I'm on my computer now so I'll be able to type a longer answer than on my phone.

You gave alot of explanation about your topology in text form which I will not analyse.  It's too much 😜  However I do see you have multiple of these stratix switches that connect over different links towards the meraki switch.

So you just need to focus on what is actually going wrong.

1) your port channel initially comes up
 -> this means your lacp negotiation and timers are matching and this works

2) STP is working on individual links and you have a stable topology

3) you first gave the info that the interfaces are shut down due to STP channel misconfig

Point 3 is where you need to focus.

Use case for the channel-misconfig feature:
Port-channel misconfig is a feature that is primarily meant for static port-channels.  If you for example create a port channel on a switch and you connect both links to another switch.  That will work fine.  However if you were to connect one link to one switch and another to a totally different switch (not a stackmember or linecard on the same switch) then you would get really weird STP behavior on your network.

Operation:
So the misconfig checks for incoming BPDU's.  If you have a working port-channel on the neighbor switch it will only send BPDU's over one of the links, however if you mis uplink to another switch your switch will receive BPDU's from both switches and the bridge-id will not match.  Following this the spanning-tree etherchannel guard misconfig will fire and will put your ports into err-disable until your err-disable recovery kicks in and re-enables the ports and the cycle continues after receiving new BPDU's

In your case, you are presumably correctly uplinking your switches however you are still receiving BPDU's with different bridge id's  how is this possible...?

Normal BPDU's from STP, RSTP and MSTP are sent with the normal destination MAC address 01:80:c2:00:00:00.  These are understood by the Meraki MS switch and will be processed.  However Cisco switches by default run PVST+ or RPVST and these use 01:00:0c:cc:cc:cd.  Meraki switches do not run PVST+ or PVST so these frames are seen as regular multicast frames and are just forwarded on.

But you are running MSTP... so what gives..?

Well in a Cisco MSTP network whenever you have a boundary port.  That is a port that links to a switches that runs some other flavor of STP it will do a PVST simulation and will send Cisco PVST+ or RPVST BPDU's on each VLAN on that port for compatibility.  So if you connect two cisco switches to the same Meraki MS switch those switches will see both BPDU's from the Meraki switch but will also see each other just as if they were directly connected and this WILL cause problems.

So how to fix this:

2 options

- You turn OFF PVST simulation if the firmware on the Stratix switches allow sit.  This way it will prevent those switches to send PVST frames on boundary ports

- If that is not an option or you have another device running PVST+ like a router with a switch module or ports in a bridge group then the other choice is to just disable the guard feature with following global config command: no spanning-tree etherchannel guard misconfig.  This will turn off the check but please take care in using lacp where possible and be very carefull around static port-channels.

Good luck!

BBC_REH
Conversationalist

GldenJoe - You are spot on.  The problem was BPDU Filtering.  The 5700 switches do not have port level control of BPDU guard / filtering via the Device Manager interface.  IT has to be enabled / disabled for the entire switch.  Although I suspect the CLI interface would allow port level enable / disable functionality.  Anyway, Those options were disabled on the Meraki side at the port level but they were left enabled on the 5700.  Which was forcing "err-disable until your err-disable recovery kicks in and re-enables the ports and the cycle continues after receiving new BPDU's" .  Your last comment set: "please take care in using lacp where possible and be very careful around static port-channels."  What issues should I watch for with regard to LACP (active)?  I completely understand the second half of that comment because I have witnessed first hand the packet loss associated with static port-channels when a link falls out then comes back up.  Thank you for taking the time to respond.  

Roger Henley
GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Oh the only thing I conveyed with that lacp thought is that you should use it as much as possible.  Static port-channels are the ones to watch for 😉

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels