cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP Printers and high proportion of ethernet collisions

Here to help

HP Printers and high proportion of ethernet collisions

Hi all,

Meraki MS225 stack, CAT 6a, two HP Printers, both office jet types but different models and ages.

Several staff members mentioned the printers were slow to start printing, checked them out and couldn't find anything obvious, but the switch showed brown on the ports the printers were connected to. (error message was high proportion of Ethernet collisions)

Switched ports, and the error followed, switched, switches and same again, had the networking company in to test the outlets and patch cables, all error free.

Doubting both printers had same fault I placed a dumb switch in between the Meraki switch and the printers, voila, all issues fixed. 

Now I did try all the usual duplex, half duplex, fix speed etc on the Meraki port, but no changes, and it hasn't happened before in the two years the switches were in, so I am surmising a firmware upgrade might be to blame, so I am waiting till the next one and will take out the dumb switch and check again.

I am posting this in the hope that someone has had similar issues and knows the fix. 

Cheers

Steve

7 REPLIES 7
Kind of a big deal

Re: HP Printers and high proportion of ethernet collisions

Sounds like you tried what I'd try.

Have you tried downgrading to an older firmware?

Definitely also open a support ticket. Seeing as it's easy to reproduce, it should be "easy" to solve.

Here to help

No I haven't reverted firmware yet and I will raise a new ticket if no-one has experienced similar problem and has a resolution.

Steve

Conversationalist

Hi, 

If the port on the switch and the printer is set to auto-negotiate it's speed and duplex, look at that brown port and check how duplex have been set by the auto-negotiation. If your switch port indicate that it is working in half-duplex and that you have collision, I would believe it's a firmware issue. As there is collision on that port, it's tell me that the printer have successfully negotiated and set itself to full duplex, but the switch have not because of the collision counter. 

Have you try to downgrade the switch firmware? Keep us posted. 

Kind of a big deal

Have you tried changing the ethernet cables? 

Meraki CMNO, Ruckus WISE, Sonicwall CSSA, Allied Telesis CASE & CAI
Kind of a big deal

What firmware version are you running on the switches?

I know it is a bit yucky, but have you tried power cycling the switches they plug into?

Here to help

Current version: MS 10.45

I haven't done that yet as it would power cycle many telephones as well, god forbid people have to log back into the phone system again 😉

We also have another HP printer, of a similar but not same model in another building, similar switches in a stack and the same happens there, also a dumb switch fixed the issues.

Steve

Here to help

Hi yes, changed patch cables both ends, and switch port, and switch, and patch panel port and outlet. Had fixed wiring checked using a very expensive Fluke cat6a infrastructure test rig.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.