Getting frustrated VLAN Setup

BSD54
Comes here often

Getting frustrated VLAN Setup

I have an MS425 that I am trying to get up and running with VLAN.  When I create two VLANS I can ping from one to the other but I can't ping the out side world.  I am trying to get it ready to replace an old Catalyst 3550.  What should the uplink port on the switch be set to?  When I look at the uplink port on the 3550 it is set to an access port but doesn't state what VLAN it is on.

Thanks,

Adam

11 Replies 11
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Do you have a default route created?

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Layer_3_Switching/MS_Layer_3_Switching_and_Routing

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Here is an example.

.https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Layer_3_Switching/Layer_3_Switch_Example

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

One more.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Layer_3_Switching/Comparing_Layer_3_and_Layer_2_Switches

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

https://www.certificationkits.com/cisco-certification/ccna-articles/cisco-ccna-intro-to-routing-basi....

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I think maybe a small topology and the Catalyst config for the port facing the MS425 would be beneficial.

If the port config is set for access with no "switch port access vlan <x>" command, it will use the default vlan (by default vlan 1).

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Is the 3550 maybe using a L3 routed port config? Meraki switches don't support routed ports today and instead you'd define a L3 interface on the switch and then place the switch port into said VLAN.

When you created the first VLAN on the MS425 it would have required a next hop IP which would in turn create a default route out from the switch. Is that next hop reachable? And, does the next hop know how to get back to the Meraki switch VLAN(s)?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What is acting as the default gateway in these VLANs - the MS425?  If so, does your firewall have a route for the new VLANs via the MS425?

BSD54
Comes here often

I just had it plugged into our network through a trunk port.  I created a couple of vlans on it just to play around but when a port is on those vlans it can't get to the out side world.  If I have a port set to a vlan that already exists in my network then it works fine.

BSD54
Comes here often

Where I am getting confused is can I just plug it into a trunk port in my network and get it up and running.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Man you need a default route, it's a basic thing about network and routing.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Just to clarify, it's because you are creating a L3 VLAN, because of that you need to create a default route. I sent you a few links to read, you just need to trust us.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels