Firmware upgrade for stacked switches

Solved
A_Vijay
Here to help

Firmware upgrade for stacked switches

Hi Team,

How can we upgrade the stacked Meraki switch's firmware?

I just have network admin access, I don't have organization admin. Still, can I do the firmware upgrade for the switches separately, or can I do the staged upgrade with network admin access?

Can we do the manual firmware upgrade for every single switch?

1 Accepted Solution
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Switch Stacks

Switch stacks are treated as a single device when it comes to upgrades. That is, every switch in a particular switch stack must belong to the same upgrade group. Therefore, you assign the stack to the group rather than each switch. 

Switch stacks can be expanded in the group member list to see details about the switches that belong to that stack.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Firmware/MS_Firmware_Upgrades

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can't, you need to be a organization admin. 

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Is it possible for the organization admin to perform the stacked core switch staged upgrade?

Is it possible to upgrade the firmware of the stacking switch without causing any downtime?

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Switch Stacks

Switch stacks are treated as a single device when it comes to upgrades. That is, every switch in a particular switch stack must belong to the same upgrade group. Therefore, you assign the stack to the group rather than each switch. 

Switch stacks can be expanded in the group member list to see details about the switches that belong to that stack.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Firmware/MS_Firmware_Upgrades

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Apart from the above, another thing to note is that when upgrading stacked Meraki switches, all switches in the stack upgrade and reboot at the same time.

We have the core switches stacked.

If the stacked switches reboot at the same time, we should have a maintenance window.

Is there any other possibility of neglecting the downtime?

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You could have two stacks if they are L2 and stage those upgrades.  If the core is doing L3 routing then you can only have two single switches sharing the routing.  Therefore moving from one stack of four L3 switches would take you to two single L3 switches and one stacked pair of L2 switches at best.

We just take the maintenance window option.  It is only 2-3 minutes.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels