Firmware updating in general, but pointing out the Switch line specifically.

Welles
Building a reputation

Firmware updating in general, but pointing out the Switch line specifically.

Why are automatic updates done that contain "Stable Release Candidate" code? Why not wait until that version of code has hit Stable? And, I don't really care to hear the "oh Meraki Release Candidate code is different talk"... if it truly was that different, then why is not changed to a Stable Release vs. Release Candidate. This would be OK if more information would be outlined in the release notes for that code, many times we have tried Release Candidates only to come across an issue that was known but not explained in the release notes, however is address in the Stable Release. If you plan on pushing auto-updates to our networks, give us an option to only allow code that is in the Stable branch. 

3 REPLIES 3
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This document describes the firmware release cycle.

https://documentation.meraki.com/Architectures_and_Best_Practices/Cisco_Meraki_Best_Practice_Design/...

What it doesn't mention is that a certain percentage of devices globally have to be running a specific release, with minimal issues, before it can be promoted to a "stable" release.

So if no one upgrades, it can never be declared a stable release.

Because the stable release canidate is being pushed out now, the chances are it will push over that threshold soon, and that same release will get declared "stable".

Welles
Building a reputation

I’ll be very blunt on this issue. I have no problem with receiving the notice for auto firmware updates, but only if the release is marked as Stable. We should have an option to only allow the network to auto update if the Stable track is being pushed. No more, no less. 

Nash
Kind of a big deal

A bit like the multiple upgrade tracks with Windows?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels