Firmware Update

SOLVED
Hubble
Getting noticed

Firmware Update

Hello,

First time I'll do switches firmware update using Meraki and I'd just like to get some advice, we have 2 core switches MS425 and uplinked to Access switches , MS225 and MS350. 

Should I do them all at one time or in sequence? 

Also, last time they did them all here at one time, the Equalogic SAN lost connectivity and had to be reconfigured. The SAN is connected to core switches, but they are stacked,  if I update one and reboot, it will also update and reboot the the other one. So there's really no redundancy there. I'm thinking of contacting Dell Equalogic maybe we have to gracefully shut them down first. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Meraki stacks don't support ISSU (in-service software upgrade). The whole stack needs to be rebooted. If the SAN is sensitive to a loss in connectivity then gracefully shutting it down on beforehand seems like a good idea.

Check this document:

https://documentation.meraki.com/Architectures_and_Best_Practices/Cisco_Meraki_Best_Practice_Design/...

It describes in detail how you should go about MS upgrades. In short: do it in phases, start at the access layer, and move up the hierarchy. It also describes how you can perform the staged upgrades.

Foresee enough downtime. And make sure you know how to troubleshoot the SAN in case of issues when booting, or have someone available who does.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Meraki stacks don't support ISSU (in-service software upgrade). The whole stack needs to be rebooted. If the SAN is sensitive to a loss in connectivity then gracefully shutting it down on beforehand seems like a good idea.

Check this document:

https://documentation.meraki.com/Architectures_and_Best_Practices/Cisco_Meraki_Best_Practice_Design/...

It describes in detail how you should go about MS upgrades. In short: do it in phases, start at the access layer, and move up the hierarchy. It also describes how you can perform the staged upgrades.

Foresee enough downtime. And make sure you know how to troubleshoot the SAN in case of issues when booting, or have someone available who does.

Thanks @BrechtSchamp 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>the Equalogic SAN lost connectivity

You should probably schedule to shutdown the SAN during the switch upgrade, or at least schedule to shutdown the things using the SAN during the switch upgrade.

Another more expensive option is to get one extra non-stacked switch, and let the storage layer use this as a second fabric for backup purposes only.  If you only use it as a backup fabric you can use a much cheaper Gigabit switch.

cigrosskoes05
Here to help

We have contacted support in the past.  Meraki is able to update firmware one switch at a time.  Saves us from having to shut our whole vmware environment down.  Our core is stacked and taking them all down at the same time for an update isn't going to happen.

EDIT:  Actually I lied.  Looked at a previous ticket and we are now doing staged updates.
https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Other_Topics/Staged_Upgrades_for_Meraki_Switches

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels