Firewall and traffic shaping on wired networks

ma_slepko
New here

Firewall and traffic shaping on wired networks

Hello,

I would like to have the firewall and traffic shaping functionality that is available for my wireless networks, available for my wired networks. Is it an additional appliance?  If so, what kind?  And where would it sit on my network?

Thank you for your time!

5 REPLIES 5
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Hey @ma_slepko. The MX can do this functionality in the same way the MR's can. The MS switches do not have this. 

Thanks for the reply. How would the physical topology look? Would I only need 1 MX device for all my networks?

MX would be per-network

You 'could' tunnel everything to one but depending on your setup, might not be the best option.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Also keep in mind their are two different license types for the MX appliance. Which ever one you choose is ORG wide, so any future MX you purchase you will have to purchase the same license. (advanced security being more expensive for obvious reasons).

What is the difference between the Enterprise and Advanced Security licenses for MX?

Enterprise
The Enterprise license includes all base functionality, including but not limited to:

• Statefull Layer 7 Firewall
  • Site to site VPN
  • Client VPN
  • DHCP
  • Branch routing
  • Intelligent path control
  • Application visibility and control
  • Web caching (MX84 and higher only)

Advanced Security
The Advanced Security license includes all Enterprise license features, plus the following advanced threat management capabilities:

• URL Content Filtering
  • Google SafeSearch enforcement
  • Youtube EDU enforcement
  • Intrusion Prevention
  • Advanced Malware Protection (AMP) with Threat Grid support
  • Layer 7 Geo-IP Firewall Rules
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

Thanks. Looks like I would be leaning toward Enterprise.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels