Event logs

iores
Comes here often

Event logs

Hi,

do Meraki switches keep event logs after the reboot?

Thanks.

5 Replies 5
RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi ,

Yes the event logs are stored on the dashboard.

Note: If a device is offline (and remains powered on), it will continue to gather the information that populates the event log and store it locally. Once the device comes back online, this information will then be uploaded to dashboard with the events keeping their original timestamps. 

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Cross-Platform_Content/Meraki_Event_Log

iores
Comes here often

If switch reboots, does it looses logs or are they still in local memory?

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This won't lose anything, as @RaphaelL said, this is stored in the Meraki Cloud

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
JacekJ
Building a reputation

They lose local logs which are crucial if you run into weird problems - whatever went into the dashboard, will stay there obviously, but its only what you see in it (not much of value).

I had a few times issues that would turn the whole network unusable and in the end I rebooted the devices and everything went back to normal (matter of ~5 minutes).

When I created a case after that - 99% of the time support would say that the switches loose all logs and if I run into issues I should call support so they can grab the logs and then eventually reboot the devices (which means hanging in the support queue in extreme cases up to 20-30min.)

DebbieNaquin
Comes here often

Meraki switches typically retain event logs even after a reboot. These logs are crucial for troubleshooting and maintaining network security. However, the duration logs are stored may depend on the switch model and configuration settings

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels