DNS missing entries after Scope Backup and Restore

AllEyesOff
Comes here often

DNS missing entries after Scope Backup and Restore

Hey All,

I recently backed up my DHCP Scope, deleted and then recreated it (by way of a .bat file). Now, all of a sudden, a few DNS entries are missing from fileshares. I recreated them, but I have to answer for the downtime a few users experienced at 11pm. Any ideas?

-AllEyesOff

4 REPLIES 4
Nash
Kind of a big deal

So, making large changes like that is something you should get a maintenance window to do. Even if you think it's fast, you want time to check your work. Users handle known outages much better than they do surprise ones, especially on plan-able work such as DHCP scope changes.

Were you using DHCP reservations for your devices? Did you recreate those reservations and validate them?

You may have to take this one on the chin. Sorry, friend.

AllEyesOff
Comes here often

Hi Nash. I backed up and restored all the reservations. They populated correctly. I actually did this off production hours, and the VPN was slightly affected it seems. 

Nash
Kind of a big deal

If the reservations populated correctly, then it sounds like either something needed a reservation that didn't have one, or your internal DNS was being finicky. 😕

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>Now, all of a sudden, a few DNS entries are missing from fileshares

What do you mean DNS entries are missing from file shares?  DNS is used for establishing a name to IP mapping, and file shares are used for - well - file sharing.  I don't get how they are related.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels