DHCP Server on MS Switches Feature Request - Add a wish please

BrothersTM
Getting noticed

DHCP Server on MS Switches Feature Request - Add a wish please

Currently my DHCP server is a role added to a server.  I'd like to get DHCP down to the L3 switch at each site.  The problem I have is with my wired interfaces at each school site (not the BOE since the WDS/PXE server is on the same subnet and already hear's the DHCP requests on that subnet), I can't run a DHCP server on an interface and also forward those DHCP packets to the PXE server using an IP helper/relay.  Current setup is that interface is set to relay to the server ip that has the role added as well as the WDS/PXE server.  Works great, but I would like to get DHCP off the server and onto my Meraki L3 at each school site.

I've added this feature as a wish.

If you don't mind, please submit a wish in your dashboard for the ability to add a DHCP server to an interface, but also forward those DHCP packets to another server using an IP helper/relay for the main purpose of PXE booting images across the WAN to a WDS server.

I know this can also be done using DHCP options 66/67, but it is not the recommended practice by MS when using WDS for deploying images.  The preferred method is to use the IP helper/relay option on that particular interface.

Thanks for taking the time to make the wish and hopefully it'll get added soon.  One more little drop down and a text field for entering IP addresses couldn't be that hard for the great minds at Meraki to add.

11 REPLIES 11
Adam
Kind of a big deal

I may not be understanding this but as long as you have a layer 3 switch can't you go to Switch>'Routing and DHCP' then select the interface or create an interface and run a DHCP server from it?and turn on the DHCP server feature?Capture.PNG

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.

Thanks, but I may not have explained it well enough.  You are correct, that's all you have to do in order to add a dhcp server ONLY to an interface, but I also need that interface to forward DHCP packets using a relay/helper to the PXE/WDS server.  Basically the first option and the second option built into the first option as an additional drop down.  But you can only choose one or the other.

PXE booting with WDS – DHCP Scope vs IP Helpers 

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel

Thanks.  I've read that article before too.  It's a good read.  Exactly why I'd like to see a helper option added when running a DHCP server on an interface.  Currently, you can only run one or the other....server or relay.

m00ndogg
Conversationalist

Hi guys,

I don't see the "Run a DHCP server" option in my drop down list.

Do I need to enable L3 in a different screen first?

I'm using an MS220-8P

screen.png

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

@m00ndogg wrote:

Hi guys,

I don't see the "Run a DHCP server" option in my drop down list.

Do I need to enable L3 in a different screen first?

I'm using an MS220-8P

screen.png

The MS220 line does not support running a DHCP server. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
m00ndogg
Conversationalist

I was afraid that you'd say that...

Thanks for the info!
MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

I know you mentioned MS not wanting to use options 66/67, but have you tried this? I'm not sure there is any real reason why it wouldn't work. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12

I have used it before and it does work, but just as MS states, at times the client will ignore the response.  That's why MS prefers use of IP helpers/relays.

Adam
Kind of a big deal

Aren't the helper/relays usually on downstream switches to help there know where to look for the DHCP server?

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

@Adamwrote:

Aren't the helper/relays usually on downstream switches to help there know where to look for the DHCP server?

I think typically you'd put the helper IP's on the L3 switch for the network. The edge switches don't need to know about them. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels