DHCP Server Disappeared?

LK34
New here

DHCP Server Disappeared?

Hello,

So I'm still pretty new to Meraki Cloud management and networking in general so please forgive me if this is something stupid that I'm not seeing. We recently tried moving our DHCP server from a Windows VM to our MX84 as a step towards decommissioning our on-prem servers. This seemed to work however as soon as it was turned on all of our switches lost connection to the Meraki Cloud, they are still routing internet traffic however they are all appearing as offline in the dashboard.

When I navigate to  DHCP servers & ARP on the dashboard there are now no recognised DHCP servers whereas before I made any changes our main Windows VM DHCP servers can be seen along with the new MX84 DHCP server. As soon as I noticed the switches going offline I reverted any and all changes that I made hoping that would fix the issue (however it did not). 

When configuring the new DHCP server I configured all the switches to relay back to the MX84 for any DHCP requests that they get. The access points we have still have connection to the cloud and can still be managed. All of our switches are statically assigned IP addresses and all have the correct address info (DNS server, gateway ect..). Please ask any questions related as I know I probably need to supply some more information to help with the issue, any help will be massively appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Any chance that the Windows DHCP server had some reserved ranges and you didn't copy these across to the MX84, and it started giving out addresses like your default gateway to hosts, clobbering everything?

I added a CSV of the reserved IP addresses, our gateway still works for other devices and the our MR33's it just seems to be the switches that are being affected. 

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If the switches do not have a management connection. The reporting of dhcp server info on the dashboard also not work.

Are you able to log in the local status page of the ms?  Does that show the same management ip that you set static?

Can you ping the switch management ip from the mx?

Yes the local management page confirms that the static IP is correct, and I am able to ping it from the MX.

Would anything be blocking access to the cloud for the switch? Although that would be strange as the access points still have access to the cloud.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels