Curious if there is a backup prior to running switch and AP firmware upgrades

Solved
mrstangblb
New here

Curious if there is a backup prior to running switch and AP firmware upgrades

I do IT for our church but I'm more of a Graphic Designer that always inherits the IT side of things. I'm curious to see if there is any kind of backup possibility that we could run prior to running switch and AP firmware upgrades?

I don't see any option for a backup in the web interface, and I'd rather not have to get our outside IT company in to reconfigure everything if anything should not go well with the firmware upgrade.

Thanks for any help!

Barry

1 Accepted Solution
AutomationDude
Building a reputation

There is no inherent backup possibility within the dashboard. I'm very sure however that you are at no risk of losing your configurations by upgrading the firmware, so I really wouldn't worry about it 😊

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8
mrstangblb
New here

We have 2 MS225-24P, 1 MS120-8LP and 1 MS120-24, by the way. 

AutomationDude
Building a reputation

There is no inherent backup possibility within the dashboard. I'm very sure however that you are at no risk of losing your configurations by upgrading the firmware, so I really wouldn't worry about it 😊

Good. I know I've run upgrades before but I just wanted to be completely sure I wasn't missing anything. Thanks so much for the reassurance, and I hope you have an awesome day!

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

I agree it is not necessary, but you could try this to have something to refer to "just in case": https://backupmeraki.com

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)

I take it that is secure?

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

Probably, but I have no connection to the project. They use an API key that you can create for the purpose of the backup and then revoke so it is hard for me to imagine anything nefarious that could really be done.

Proceed at your own risk though and read through their security and FAQ sections to decide for yourself if you trust it.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I can't see any "restore" option for those backups.

I have an old backup script that can backup and restores.

https://www.ifm.net.nz/cookbooks/meraki-backup.html 

Very impressive. Thanks very much!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels