Create new stacking with production switch

SOLVED
Dhimz
Comes here often

Create new stacking with production switch

hello,

our customer have an existing switch MS410, this is production switch and now it's work properly.

the customer planned to physical stacking this switch with new MS410.

can i create this stack without loss any existing configuration?

Thank's.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MarcP
Kind of a big deal

Yes, you can. No config will be lost.

But keep in mind to bring the new switch online (stand alone) to get its firmware update before.

Meraki´s recommendation is to power off both switches before connecting the stacking cables.

As we did the same a couple of weeks ago it works without powering off the productive switch as well.

After all is connected and online (first only with 1 Uplink (recommendation Meraki as well)) switches will appear as potential stack.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
MarcP
Kind of a big deal

Yes, you can. No config will be lost.

But keep in mind to bring the new switch online (stand alone) to get its firmware update before.

Meraki´s recommendation is to power off both switches before connecting the stacking cables.

As we did the same a couple of weeks ago it works without powering off the productive switch as well.

After all is connected and online (first only with 1 Uplink (recommendation Meraki as well)) switches will appear as potential stack.

Dhimz
Comes here often

Okay.

So the configuration will not be lost because the configuration is stored in the cloud not on the device.

It's look like when I factory reset the device and then the device will download the latest configuration in the cloud.

am i right?

MarcP
Kind of a big deal

Config will not be resetted, correct.

I mean, the new device has to be connected to the cloud before, so it can download its firmware. For example directly connected to your router. It just need a internetaccess.

When you receive a Meraki device it has a "factory firmware" and needs to update itself to be on its fooreseen status. This may take up to 45 minutes. device will reboot in between.

I didn´t wait long enough and had to factoy reset a switch multiple times before it worked as it should 😉

The existing don´t has to be touched before. only when plugging in the stacking cables.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Stacking/Switch_Stacks#Physical_Switch_Stack_Configuration_Steps

Dhimz
Comes here often

okay. i get it.

thank you very much for your help 😊

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels