Correct Connectors Help?

Bravo7
Comes here often

Correct Connectors Help?

Hello,

We have a client that has a Dell ME5024 PV SAN with 8 RJ45 10GB Base-T Ports

They have 2 MS350 48P POE FP switches Stacked as Core 1 and 2

They bought the Meraki MS425-16 10GB SFP+ with 2x 40G QSFP+ port

The 2 VMware Host have 10GB SFP+ nics in them we want to connect all to the new 10GB Switch but I need some advice on the connectors to get ?

1. 10GB Base-T SFP+ to RJ45 adapter? Does this need to be Meraki brand if not what do you all recommend ?

Trying to keep cost down

2. Is there a way to connect /use the 40G QSFP+ port to connect to the MS350 48P SFP+ 10GB ports?  

Woulld a 40G QSFP+ to 10GB SFP+ adapter work?

If so what do you reommednd?

Would I be able to get the 40GB Speeds between the switches??

Could I use something like this?

40G QSFP+ to 4 10G SFP+ Direct Attached Copper Cable

https://www.amazon.com/40G-QSFP-4xSFP-Breakout-QSFP-4SFP10G-CU4M/dp/B0BJ22LWC2?th=1

Thanks in advance. 

Ethan

1 Reply 1
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi Ethan,

Unfortunately Meraki switches do not support breakout cables to divide a 40Gb port into four 10Gb ports.  They also do not support the single adapter that does the same.

For the SAN connection you can use 10Gb RJ45 adapters, but there is no Meraki / Cisco part, so you need a third party one.  I have had good experience with the FS ones that mimic a Cisco 10Gb SR fibre adapter, but buy one first to make sure that it fits in the MS425 as I had issues in the SFP+ ports on the MS355, but not those on an MS225. 

The SAN does have the option to be specified with SFP+ ports as opposed to RJ-45 and I would recommend that if you are buying more as you can then use DAC cables and if you need RJ45 then the above FS adapters work well in those SANs.  Don't be tempted to order the adapters with a Dell code in them as they will not work...

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels