Core/Server Switch Upgrade - best practice

Solved
This2shallpass
Getting noticed

Core/Server Switch Upgrade - best practice

Hi, 

I will be updating the firmware on our Meraki switches soon. This will require rebooting of switches. Should I shut down all VMs as best practice or it is not required? Will the VMs running during the upgrade procedure freeze & pickup automatically from where they left off once online or they can go corrupt.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This question is ultimately dependant on your network design and risk tolerance.

A few points of note.

If your hosts have uplinks to to 2 separate switches, they will reboot alternately and therefore the hosts and VM's should see minimal impact.

This assumes your hypervisor pathing is set up correctly.

If you have the VM's storage traffic (iSCSI, NFS etc) going over the network. Most hypervisors can handle a small delay in connectivity to the VM storage, but won't handle a larger outage time. It's always a more enjoyable experience to shutdown critical VM's prior and bring them up again later than to have to recover corrupt VM's.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This question is ultimately dependant on your network design and risk tolerance.

A few points of note.

If your hosts have uplinks to to 2 separate switches, they will reboot alternately and therefore the hosts and VM's should see minimal impact.

This assumes your hypervisor pathing is set up correctly.

If you have the VM's storage traffic (iSCSI, NFS etc) going over the network. Most hypervisors can handle a small delay in connectivity to the VM storage, but won't handle a larger outage time. It's always a more enjoyable experience to shutdown critical VM's prior and bring them up again later than to have to recover corrupt VM's.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

As for vMware, I don't think it's a problem to leave the server on, however, I've seen cases of applications that didn't behave well during a switch reboot in general (regardless of whether it's Meraki, Catalyst, HP, etc).

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
This2shallpass
Getting noticed

Thank you @Brash @alemabrahao for your viewpoint

Shutting down the VMs is the best option.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels