Converting from Catalyst to Meraki

BSD54
Comes here often

Converting from Catalyst to Meraki

I am trying to set up my VLANS in the Meraki dashboard.  The issue is that I am trying to create a VLAN to the interface of 172.18.28.2 which is the same ip as the switch.  Do I not need to create VLAN 1 in the Routing and DHCP section of the Meraki dashboard.  Below is the example of VLAN 1 on the catalyst switch.

!

interface Vlan1

ip address 172.18.28.2 255.255.254.0

!

5 Replies 5
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can't use the same IP, try with another IP.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Do I need to even establish VLAN1 in the Meraki Dashboard?

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

There is no VLAN creation in Meraki, only VLAN interfaces.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Check the onboarding guide.

https://documentation.meraki.com/Cloud_Monitoring_for_Catalyst/Onboarding/Cloud_Monitoring_for_Catal...

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Is this question about converting a Catalyst switch to Meraki or just recreating a similar config on a Meraki switch that you have or had on a Catalyst switch?

If it's the latter then it's important to understand the key difference with a cloud managed Meraki switch vs. a Catalyst or other non cloud managed switch. A Meraki switch requires a management IP to communicate with dashboard. Think of it like a simple client with a unique IP that talks to dashboard. This mgmt IP can be on a native or tagged VLAN.

A Meraki switch can also have layer 3 IPs for local VLANs if it's performing routing or DHCP relay functions. Layer 2 VLANs don't require any special config on a Meraki switch like a VLAN database or anything. A trunk port on a Meraki switch assumes it can carry any VLAN 1-4094.

Ryan / Meraki SE

If you found this post helpful, please give it Kudos. If my answer solved your problem click Accept as Solution so others can benefit from it.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels