Converting from Catalyst to Meraki

BSD54
Comes here often

Converting from Catalyst to Meraki

I am trying to set up my VLANS in the Meraki dashboard.  The issue is that I am trying to create a VLAN to the interface of 172.18.28.2 which is the same ip as the switch.  Do I not need to create VLAN 1 in the Routing and DHCP section of the Meraki dashboard.  Below is the example of VLAN 1 on the catalyst switch.

!

interface Vlan1

ip address 172.18.28.2 255.255.254.0

!

5 Replies 5
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can't use the same IP, try with another IP.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Do I need to even establish VLAN1 in the Meraki Dashboard?

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

There is no VLAN creation in Meraki, only VLAN interfaces.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Check the onboarding guide.

https://documentation.meraki.com/Cloud_Monitoring_for_Catalyst/Onboarding/Cloud_Monitoring_for_Catal...

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Is this question about converting a Catalyst switch to Meraki or just recreating a similar config on a Meraki switch that you have or had on a Catalyst switch?

If it's the latter then it's important to understand the key difference with a cloud managed Meraki switch vs. a Catalyst or other non cloud managed switch. A Meraki switch requires a management IP to communicate with dashboard. Think of it like a simple client with a unique IP that talks to dashboard. This mgmt IP can be on a native or tagged VLAN.

A Meraki switch can also have layer 3 IPs for local VLANs if it's performing routing or DHCP relay functions. Layer 2 VLANs don't require any special config on a Meraki switch like a VLAN database or anything. A trunk port on a Meraki switch assumes it can carry any VLAN 1-4094.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels