Converting MS410 pair from warm spare to stack

RANT
Comes here often

Converting MS410 pair from warm spare to stack

Due to my employer's network needs and the limited functionality of the Warm Spare features with Meraki switches, it looks like I need to convert my MS410 switch pair from a Warm Spare setup to a switch stack.  I'm not familiar with these kinds of procedures with Meraki switches, and there seems to be no real documentation on removing Warm Spare functionality from a switch pair.  Has anybody out there ever done something like this?  What should I look for?  Are there any caveats I should pay attention to?  What should I do, buy, (stack cables?) etc in preparation for this procedure?  What kind of downtime would I be looking at?  Obviously I'd have to do this during a maintenance window, so how big of a window (1, 2, ? hrs) should I request from mgmt?  Is this kind of conversion even advisable in a production environment?

5 REPLIES 5
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You will need stacking cables.  You can order them now and plug them in.  It should cause no disruption.

I would then just disable the warm spare, and then follow these steps:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Stacking/Switch_Stacks#Physical_Switch_Stack_Configuration_Steps 

RANT
Comes here often

Would it be safest to update the firmware while still set up as warm spares?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I would try and get them onto 12.x code.  I'd probably upgrade them first. 

RANT
Comes here often

Right now, they're both running version MS 10.35.  12.x is 2 whole major version upgrades, and would surely come with caveats.  Is this upgrade (10.35 straight to 12.x) supported by Meraki?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I would personally step through smaller steps.

Like the latest 10.x, then the current stable 11.x, and then go to 12.x.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels