Connecting to a separate network

SOLVED
CiscoInstaller
Here to help

Connecting to a separate network

I am installing a new Cisco Meraki solution for a client that is moving away from IT infrastructure (Cisco) provided by their old parent company.

We have configured an MX100 for internet access and provisioned a default VLAN for the new server and client infrastructure. Devices connected to the new Meraki firewall and switches can access the internet and other devices in the same subnet in the new environment as expected.

As part of the transition, we need to connect this new Cisco Meraki infrastructure to the old network to allow the transfer of domain services, data and other settings. The administrator for the older systems has provided us with an IP address and subnet mask in the range that the old servers reside in. I need to configure the new Meraki networking to allow servers on the new network to communicate with resources on the old network.

What is the best way to achieve this on either the Meraki MX100 or one of the Meraki MS225-48FP switches that constitute the new network?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

I would just keep the VLANs all in MX and have the MS225 provide the routing. Just make static routes on the MX from the switches IP's that you set.

Enthusiast

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

I would just keep the VLANs all in MX and have the MS225 provide the routing. Just make static routes on the MX from the switches IP's that you set.

Enthusiast

Okay, so I have configured a VLAN for the network range on the old LAN (172.31.104.0/22) and set this as the default VLAN for port 4 on the MX100 (which is where I have connected the network cable to the other network).

Whereabouts do I need to add the static routes? Is it the static routes under the 'Security & SD-WAN | Addressing and VLAN' page on the Meraki configuration? And should I be entering the network that matches the VLAN, because when I do that i get an error 'Static lan route subnets cannot be contained by (or be equal to) a VLAN subnet'. 

And I then need to add static routes to the servers in the old network range too?

Thanks in advance, sorry if i am missing something obvious!

I found what I was missing and got this configured as required - thank you for your help.

@CiscoInstaller sorry for late response. Glad you figured it out. 😁

Enthusiast
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels