Configuring MS425 stack IP

SOLVED
BHDJon
Conversationalist

Configuring MS425 stack IP

I'm setting up a pair of MS425-16 switches in a stack.  It seems to be working correctly, but I notice that each switch pulls a unique IP address rather than the stack sharing one virtual IP.  Another stack of MS390's I'm setting up behaves more like I'd have guessed and presents one virtual IP for the whole stack.  Are the MS425's designed to behave differently?  If so, what is the recommended configuration?  I see that VRRP is supported - is that how I should be configuring the MS425's?

Jon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@BHDJon the management IP on a Meraki switch is purely for that, think of it as an out of band management interface on more traditional switches.  All VLANs that you want data traffic on can have SVIs to route between them and will act as normal.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I dont know about the ms390

But all other meraki switches/devices are using (even when stacked) a unique ip for management to the cloud.  Its recommended that the switches get a ip on native vlan of the upstream router/device

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@BHDJon MS390 is a Cisco 9300 with a software layer on top, hence it behaves like other Cisco iOS switch stacks

BHDJon
Conversationalist

Ok well this seems to be the case with the 425's.  Each member has a unique management IP rather than there being a single stack management IP.  I haven't configured this series of switches before so this isn't quite intuitive yet.  In the switch stack menu I see that L3 routing can be applied to the stack, so that may be able to take care of my needs if I can create SVI's that have the same routing table across the stack members.

Thanks,

Jon

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@BHDJon the management IP on a Meraki switch is purely for that, think of it as an out of band management interface on more traditional switches.  All VLANs that you want data traffic on can have SVIs to route between them and will act as normal.

BHDJon
Conversationalist

I was getting wrapped up in thinking these switches behaved like some others I've worked with that treat management as a single plane in stacks.  With that out of the way, I think it makes sense now and will continue with setting up the routing and SVI's without dwelling on the management IP's.

Thanks

Jon

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels