Configuring MS410-16 without using Cloud Dashboard management

SOLVED
GreeNdeviCp3821
Comes here often

Configuring MS410-16 without using Cloud Dashboard management

Hey everyone. Apologies if this was topic was covered already, but I would like to configure an MS410-16 switch (stacking it with a second one) locally. Was hoping to configure it through Putty CLI or through the web browser (already connected to it on the browser). The browser connection is limited though, so I can't set up multiple VLANs per port like I'd like, or to set up jumbo packets, sflow, and lldp for instance. Any insight would be appreciative, thank you in advance for your responses.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You can create a network in dashboard now, add the switches, complete the configuration. When you install the switches they will check in with dashboard and pull down their config. No need to SSH or install a config prior to physical deployment (other than if you need a static mgmt IP on the device - then use the local status page).

You might want to check out this video (I have zero affiliation with him) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaxjRoXEG18&ab_channel=TheITWay

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Meraki switches are cloud managed. The local status page is for limited config tasks (mainly giving a device a static IP). You need to do the config via dashboard or use API.

Ah, so no way to configure them locally via ssh or any traditional networking method? My only issue is that the building I'm going to replace the switches with is still in production. The cut over would have to happen at a later date, so I was hoping to prep everything in advance. Then just unplug the internet connection from the old hardware, plug it into the new Meraki switches, and that'll be the end of the physical hardware switching.

You can create a network in dashboard now, add the switches, complete the configuration. When you install the switches they will check in with dashboard and pull down their config. No need to SSH or install a config prior to physical deployment (other than if you need a static mgmt IP on the device - then use the local status page).

You might want to check out this video (I have zero affiliation with him) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaxjRoXEG18&ab_channel=TheITWay

Ok, I'll try that then. Thank you for that information Ryan, and have a great weekend!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels