Changing management VLAN

SOLVED
Karl_Jacobsen
Getting noticed

Changing management VLAN

I have 5 Meraki MS120-8 switches on my network. They are fed via a 2Gb uplink trunk from a Cisco 3750. The trunk is setup as switchport trunk native vlan 181 (181 is the management VLAN). When I installed the switches I left the management VLAN setting on the switch's config page blank and the switch adopted it as VLAN 1. The addressing on the switch is set to use DHCP and my DHCP server has a reservation to give it the correct address (which it has). Reading the documentation, Meraki switches don't do VTP domains so I should manually give it the correct VLAN number. When I manually assign VLAN 181 as the management VLAN I get this error...

Karl_Jacobsen_0-1680782579820.png

Should the switch's address not be in the same VLAN as the management VLAN?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Right. You have config issues. The one switch showing green has trunks set to 181 native. The alerting switches are all set as native 1. You need to fix the mismatch.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

On the page Switching > Configure > Switch Settings configure the mgmt VLAN as 181

Thanks Ryan... What will this do to switch traffic in progress? Will it cause a service interruption?

The mgmt IP doesn't affect any port level configs or client traffic

Thanks for the reply Ryan... I changed the management VLAN in the switch settings page as you suggested. Now all my switches are giving that same error. Everything does seem to be functioning normally. Does it just take time for the error to clear?

You have native VLAN mismatch issues. Your Meraki switches (except for one) are configured as trunk, native 1, allow all. The upstream 3750 appears to be native 181?

That's correct... The upstream switch is configured as native VLAN181. The one switch that isn't having issues is one I just deployed 2 weeks ago. The setting on the unaffected switch is the same as the affected ones on the 3750

Right. You have config issues. The one switch showing green has trunks set to 181 native. The alerting switches are all set as native 1. You need to fix the mismatch.

Okay, I changed the VLAN on one switch to 181 but it still shows as VLAN 1 on the panel to the left.

Karl_Jacobsen_0-1681151190808.png

So, as a test, I set the switch to a static address (same as the DHCP reservation) and I included the all the fields like the netmask, gateway, DNS and VLAN set to 181 but it doesn't seem to update the switch even though the settings page shows the config is up to date. It just seems the switch isn't taking any settings change. I can still successfully ping the switch so I know the switch is still up.

Karl_Jacobsen
Getting noticed

Thank you for your help Ryan... I changed the VLAN on the two uplinks and the issue is resolved!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels