Changed their link speeds

nst1
Building a reputation

Changed their link speeds

I am receiving constant alerts of this type;

The following switch ports in the Corp- switch network changed their link speeds.

Site 01 / 7 (Datos/Voz) Access port on VLAN 22

100 Mbps to 10 Mbps

11:03 AM CDT on May 22

I understand that the port change speed but what is due, what should I do to avoid it or if it is normal and should not worry me ???

12 REPLIES 12
SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

Is this on one port only? What type of device is plugged into it?

nst1
Building a reputation

@ SoCalRacer
it is a printer.

the connectivity in the port I see it in;

May 21 16:31 - May 21 18:03 High rate of packet fragments

and

May 21 19:02 - May 22 06:30 Connected at 10 Mbps

SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

Some options to consider:

1) Change the port on the switch from auto negotiate to 100Mbps Full Duplex (or whatever setting seems to give you less errors)

2) Try to force the speed on the printer side, possibly it is set to auto negotiate and it isn't working correctly or something is causing it to renegotiate. 

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

I disagree with @SoCalRacer. Manually setting speed or duplex is never the right answer IMO.

This likely is due to a physical problem. Use the cable test feature on the switch port to do a basic test of the cable and see if there's problems. If you have a proper cable tested get that out and test out the cable run. 

SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

@jdsilva I understand your logic. I guess I was assuming the cable and what not is fine. Provided the cable test works the problem could easily be on the device side (printer)

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

@jdsilva wrote:

I disagree with @SoCalRacer. Manually setting speed or duplex is never the right answer IMO.

This likely is due to a physical problem. Use the cable test feature on the switch port to do a basic test of the cable and see if there's problems. If you have a proper cable tested get that out and test out the cable run. 

@jdsilva Could also be the nic. I've had some devices when they go into sleep mode the speed decreases until it comes back. Just my 2 cents as well. @SoCalRacer manually setting speeds can be bad imo as well unless specifically required.  

Enthusiast
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

@SoCalRacer wrote:

@jdsilva I understand your logic. I guess I was assuming the cable and what not is fine. Provided the cable test works the problem could easily be on the device side (printer)

@kYutobi wrote:

@jdsilva Could also be the nic. I've had some devices when they go into sleep mode the speed decreases until it comes back. Just my 2 cents as well. @SoCalRacer manually setting speeds can be bad imo as well unless specifically required.  

Yup, could be the NIC too. Anything L1 really. 

The sleep mode is a good call too. I've seen that as well before and it could totally be what's happening. 

When my NAS turns off it also goes to 10 Mbit. It's the IPMI falling back to 10Mbit. Could be a similar thing with the printer... Some kind of webgui that stays online when it's off.

Did you ever get your switch to work correctly? I am having this issue with one of my clients desktops. When they go to sleep the switch drops to 10mbs. The problem is that the switch doesn't automatically detect the faster speed after it wakes and the connection is horrible.

Did you ever find a resolution with the sleep mode issue? I am getting run in circles by Meraki support.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@DACITServices have you tried forcing the speed as per @SoCalRacer's suggestion above.  I know it isn't clean, but it often works... 😈

Playstation 4 does the same with my MS120-8P: Whenever it goes to sleep, it goes from 1000 Base T to 100 Base T, probably to save power.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels