Catalyst 3850 => MS350 SFP Compatibility

Solved
shapesnet
Here to help

Catalyst 3850 => MS350 SFP Compatibility

I'm currently doing an equipment refresh on a telco distribution switch and am unable to get link lights on an SFP downlink from one of the service providers. Current 3850's are using GLC-SX-MMD-COM transceiver and we purchased an MA-SFP-1GB-SX for the Merakis.

My question is what is the equivalent Meraki transceiver if we are using the wrong one? I'm able to find info on a GLC-SX-MMD transceiver but the one in production has a -COM at the end. Does that just signify compatibility with 3rd party vendors?

Any help is much appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you tried the existing transceiver in the MS350, perhaps forcing it to 1Gb mode?

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10
AMP
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I think the -COM just stands for compatible meaning its not a Cisco branded one but meets the specs of that Cisco model SFP. Dont quote me on that though. Looks like the specs match between the two. MA-SFP-1GB-SX is compatible with MS350.

Knowledge is power

interestingly enough the COM transceiver does appear to have same branding and sticker layout. It also does result in a product match when running the S/N against the Cisco SN check. Maybe COM can indicate refurb? Thanks for the input, I think I've got some next steps to try for troubleshooting.

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

GLC- SFP's are usually the 1GB range of Cisco itself and is fully verified to work with Catalyst and Cisco Business line of switches.  However you can't have any -COM or other suffixes which means not an official one.  The GLC-SX-MMD is the official multimode 1 Gbps SFP for Cisco switches.  The confusion is complete when Cisco Business switches also have their own SFP's like the MGBSX1.  I have seen both of these SFP's perfectly work on Meraki switches since they're all Cisco branded.

However if you do deviate from the datasheet, you are a bit on your own for supporting issues directly related to those SFP's.

The easy part is that all Meraki SFP's start with MA-

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you tried the existing transceiver in the MS350, perhaps forcing it to 1Gb mode?

I did try using the existing transceiver which did not work, but I did not try forcing it to 1Gb. Good idea, I'll give that a go.

Thanks for the suggestion. This was a Cogent connection and forcing it to 1Gb brought the link up right away.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No worries, I'd seen something similar on one of our sites, so thought it worth a try!

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I would contact the service provider and ask what they can see.

I'm wondering if in fact the issue is not an SFP issue - but something to do with port configuration at the service provider.  Perhaps they have spanning tree configured to be blocked, a MAC address restriction, etc.

MattC1
Here to help

Did you try reversing the polarity of one of your patch cables?  Just in case your TX/RX Transmit/Receive were physically in the wrong position.  Sometime a fiber cleaning pen will help in case the end of a patch cable has some dirt that needs to be polished away.  Interface settings on the Meraki would be next guess.

yep I rolled the fiber initially -- ended up having to force link speed to 1Gbps

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels