Can't see model of SFP module installed

Hobbes
Just browsing

Can't see model of SFP module installed

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Other_Topics/MS_Switch_SFP_and_SFP__Overview

According to this, I should be able to see the manufacturer / port speed / part number etc for installed SFP modules on my MS120 switches. I can't find any of this information in the switch port page in the dashboard. Has it moved, or what?

11 REPLIES 11
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Hobbes  I see the below when I click on the switch port. What brand of SFP modules are you using, I would say some 3rd party units probably wont show up.

Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 9.10.44 AM.png

Nope, I can see the CDP/LLDP section where the two switches are listed (both MS120's) but there's nothing there for SFP module. As far as I know, they're supposed to be Meraki branded SFP modules, but I was hoping to avoid a 2-hour drive out to the site to verify.

@Hobbes  This might seem like a silly question and its in no way meant to sound rude but are you 100% you are looking at the right port. 

I have just double checked one of my switches which I know has a 3rd party module and it does show up information. 

Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 9.42.03 AM.png

port2.jpg

port.jpg

I see what you mean, but like @BlakeRichardson I also have some non-Meraki SFPs installed on a lab switch and I see the information also right below the "VLANs match" information, even the serial number of the SFP.  If you're pretty sure you've got Meraki SFPs installed, might want to open a Support ticket, depending on which model of SFP, which model of switch, and which version of firmware, Support can advise if there's a known issue with reporting the transceiver information, or possibly be ableto see a deeper level of information that you can see natively in Dashboard.  So there's a chance they can save you that drive, might be worth checking.

Are you running 10.x (or better) firmware on your Merak switch?

Latest (10.45) firmware

NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

I believe you need to click the 'raw' button for that information to show up.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

This is from the Meraki SFP Overview article. JUst thought I would post this in case anyone was interested. 

Are other Cisco SFP/SFP+ parts certified to work with Cisco Meraki products?

Not at this time.

If I have a technical problem and am using non-certified optics, will Cisco Meraki Support provide assistance?

Cisco Meraki will still provide technical support and help troubleshoot the issue. However, if the problem is isolated or related to a link that is using non-certified optics, you may be asked to test using a certified part.

Technoir65
Comes here often

There is a bug in the MS-120 10.X firmware, so it don't show. In the beta firmware 11.X it is fixed

RobinsonRoca
Getting noticed

This is an old post, but I did want to mention, that whether an SFP is supported or not there is no way (at least is seems) to see what SFP is plugged into a port, if the port is aggregated.  Once you aggregate the port you lose the ability to see the SFP details.  The only way I can see it, is if I unbundle the ports in the agg group, then look at the port details (thats not cool or kosher)

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels