Can a Meraki switch be "unclaimed"

Tbo2
New here

Can a Meraki switch be "unclaimed"

I have a switch that my company is getting rid of.  How can I unclaim it so that it can be resold on a marketplace like eBay?

8 REPLIES 8
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Just remove it from the network it's in.

image.png

There's also an "unclaim" button under Organization > Inventory you can use. 

image.png

Note that removing it from the network is not enough on its own Note that removing it from the network is not enough on its own. You need to do both. First take it out of the network, then unclaim it from the org.. You need to do both. First take it out of the network, then unclaim it from the org.

Edit: Apparently @jdsilva is in fact correct and removing it from your network is enough. For good measure it probably doesn't hurt to remove it from your inventory too though.

I don't think that's correct @BrechtSchamp . I am able to claim a device in an a different Org as long as I remove it from the network in the Org where it currently resides. 

As well, Meraki docs seems to indicate that as long as a device is not in a network it can be claimed by anyone.

image.png

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Inventory_and_Devices/Using_the_Organizatio...

Hmm that surprises me. But I just tested it out and it seems you are correct sir!

"Meraki docs seems to indicate that as long as a device is not in a network it can be claimed by anyone".

Does that mean that Meraki devices that have already been claimed can be used in another network?

If a device has already been claimed and the seller no longer reachable (enterprises upgrading, or closing down), does that mean that these equipment can never be used again?

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Conxentra claiming the device doesn't itself do anything to restrict the device's use.  Having the device in a network is what stops it being claimed elsewhere.

If a device is in a network that you don't have access to and you don't have any proof of the original purchase of the device, that device is now useless.

If you have proof of original purchase then contact support who can reassign it to your organisation.

Mad but true!

@cmr, thank you for your reply.

If the unit was purchased from a commercial (not individual) seller on ebay, would that invoice be still accepted by support to re-assign it to my organization?

If support can re-assign, there is still hope. From other posts on Google, I was under the impression that support will never re-assign the device.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Conxentra unfortunately not, you need proof of the original purchase from new.  The only exception might be if the eBay company is a Cisco reseller.

Unless one of the above is the case, then you are due a refund under eBay rules as they have not sold you what they advertised.  If you used PayPal then the protection is good and the resolution process pretty fast.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels