Best Practice for Running DHCP on MS Switch

Gatortrax
Comes here often

Best Practice for Running DHCP on MS Switch

Hi All –

I’m trying to figure out the best way to use my Meraki MS Switches for a DHCP server. I’m currently using a windows server, that I want to get decommissioned.

I have one Layer 3 switch (Cisco 9500) that has all the Vlan’s and interfaces on it. I have 8 MS355’s acting as layer 2 connected to this 9500. I don’t want to use the 9500 for DHCP.

I’m wondering if I should create interfaces on all of the 8 MS355’s or is there a better way to deploy this?

Any information the community can provide is much appreciated. 

5 Replies 5
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Why don't you want to use Windows server as DHCP?

Anyway, the Ideal is that you keep this in your Network Core, so I don't see any sense in creating SVIs in MS just to enable the resource.

• DHCP

• Specify allowed DHCP servers to protect against rogue servers

• In a warm spare configuration, the load balancing mechanism for DHCP, in some case, may be inefficient and cause an issue where devices may try to get an address from a member with no leases remaining. This is addressed in a stacked configuration, where this issue will not occur.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

I have been trying to get rid of all local servers. The dhcp server is my last one to go. I figured it be easier and cleaner to run DHCP on the switch.

Personally, I'd put it on the Cat 9500

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have reservations got better since the 3850s where it was a nightmare..?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I tend to put DHCP on the switch providing the routing for the VLAN (the default gateway for the VLAN).

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels