Bad DNS on all switches

cioitss
Conversationalist

Bad DNS on all switches

All switches and access points are alerting with Bad DNS.  The issue started 5 hours ago and is happening at different sites with separate internet connections.  The MXs appear fine.  I tried to change one of the DNS settings to 8.8.8.8 to see if there is a problem with Open DNS, but no luck.  I also rebooted a switch and that didn't help either.  Any insight?  I've been on hold waiting for Meraki Support to answer for over 20 minutes.  Thanks in advance. 

4 Replies 4
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @cioitss , this could be a cosmetic “glitch”.  If everything’s been running fine for a while and no changes have occurred on the network I would say this will pass.

Is the network still passing traffic?

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
cioitss
Conversationalist

Apparently Umbrella was having issues.  Had to switch to Google public DNS for the time being for each VLAN, reboot the MX, reconfig devices that had static IPs and reboot them.  Thankfully just a small org.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That might explain that when I tried the umbrella reachability test, I just got the spinning wheel.  I just assumed the test was broken!

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Usually the bad DNS alert is honest and your switches do have issues receiving responses to their queries to the configured DNS servers.
It does however take some time after the issue is fixed for the error to go away.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels