Back to Front Airflow

SOLVED
josephpgonzalez
Conversationalist

Back to Front Airflow

Hello Community,

We are deploying some MS425s and MS350s in a datacenter and were told that we had to have reverse airflow fans, which are red.  This is the first time I have heard of those.  Can anyone chime in with some suggestions on if this is feasible?  Thank you in advance for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Previous replies are correct, there is not a reverse airflow fan-tray option for the Meraki MS switches. If you find that you need to deploy an MS in a data center with hot aisle / cold aisle layout, the options are going to be to use a shelf and place the switch on the shelf facing the other direction, or rack mount the switch like normal, but use something like a "Deflecto" magnetic vent cover on the cabinet door, such that the warm exhaust from the hot aisle isn't venting directly into the input of the MS switch. I've had customers do this with no issues. Hope that might help!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

I am only aware of the front-to-back fans for the Meraki switches

https://www.cdw.com/product/cisco-meraki-ms420-fan-unit-front-to-back/3182735

MA-FAN-16k
MA-FAN-18k
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

Thanks, Nolan. I'm here looking at all the Data Sheets as well and no where is there an option to purchase them for the Meraki line. We are in touch with our vendor. If there is a solution, I'll be sure to share it with the community.

Cisco Nexus have two airflow direction choices. Meraki don't or it would be the first time I hear about that option.

Thanks for the responses. I've also only seen the reversible fans on the Nexus line as well while browsing today. The solution may be to turn the switches backwards!

Previous replies are correct, there is not a reverse airflow fan-tray option for the Meraki MS switches. If you find that you need to deploy an MS in a data center with hot aisle / cold aisle layout, the options are going to be to use a shelf and place the switch on the shelf facing the other direction, or rack mount the switch like normal, but use something like a "Deflecto" magnetic vent cover on the cabinet door, such that the warm exhaust from the hot aisle isn't venting directly into the input of the MS switch. I've had customers do this with no issues. Hope that might help!
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels