Are the Cloud Managed Meraki Switches fully Manageable via the cloud platform ?

SOLVED
YannDerry
New here

Are the Cloud Managed Meraki Switches fully Manageable via the cloud platform ?

Hi There, 

I'm not a techie nor an engineer, I just have few questions about the cloud management feature of Meraki.

1) Are the Cloud Managed Switches fully manageable via the cloud platform ? Can you download full config file onto them from the cloud platform ?

As I do not think they have management port, I was wondering if they were as manageable on the cloud as a fully managed switch on premise.

2) Is there any plan for Meraki insight to support Cisco catalyst switches in the future ? To make the Catalyst switches Cloud manageable ?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

1) The answer is yes, the switches are fully manageable from the cloud platform. However, Meraki doesn't really work with traditional configs as you know from the Catalyst series. The configuration is done through the dashboard, not via a text file. To avoid repetitive tasks in the dashboard, this can be done more efficiently thanks to templates or starting from a copy of an existing configuration and the use of tags (on ports, devices, networks, etc.). For automation purposes there's also the dashboard API and the new OpenAPI SDK's.

I suggest you take a look at the Meraki youtube channel and look at one of the webinars. That way you'll get a better idea about how it works. They end all webinars with a demo. Perhaps this one:

Meraki's philosophy is quite different from traditional Cisco but it's a very powerful way of addressing networking. Once you've seen the demo you'll see what I mean.

Most of the switches do have a management port. However that's only to do the very limited local configuration necessary to get the switch connected to the Meraki cloud (Static IP, default gateway, DNS settings, Proxy). More info on that here:
https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Tools_and_Troubleshooting/Using_the_Cisco_M...

2) Not that I know of. The only thing I do know is that the integration of Meraki into DNA Center will become deeper over time. DNA Center is Cisco's new management platform to do networking in a software defined way. I think over time there will be a cloud based version of DNA Center. There is no on-prem version of Meraki.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

1) The answer is yes, the switches are fully manageable from the cloud platform. However, Meraki doesn't really work with traditional configs as you know from the Catalyst series. The configuration is done through the dashboard, not via a text file. To avoid repetitive tasks in the dashboard, this can be done more efficiently thanks to templates or starting from a copy of an existing configuration and the use of tags (on ports, devices, networks, etc.). For automation purposes there's also the dashboard API and the new OpenAPI SDK's.

I suggest you take a look at the Meraki youtube channel and look at one of the webinars. That way you'll get a better idea about how it works. They end all webinars with a demo. Perhaps this one:

Meraki's philosophy is quite different from traditional Cisco but it's a very powerful way of addressing networking. Once you've seen the demo you'll see what I mean.

Most of the switches do have a management port. However that's only to do the very limited local configuration necessary to get the switch connected to the Meraki cloud (Static IP, default gateway, DNS settings, Proxy). More info on that here:
https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Tools_and_Troubleshooting/Using_the_Cisco_M...

2) Not that I know of. The only thing I do know is that the integration of Meraki into DNA Center will become deeper over time. DNA Center is Cisco's new management platform to do networking in a software defined way. I think over time there will be a cloud based version of DNA Center. There is no on-prem version of Meraki.

Thanks a lot Brechtschamp, 

Your reply is giving me all the answers I need !

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels