Active twinax Cables / MS225

Phil
Just browsing

Active twinax Cables / MS225

Hi All

does anyone know if the MS225 will wprk with Cisco active twinax cables , in particular the below part code

SFP-H10GB-ACU10M=    10GBASE-CU SFP+ Cable 10 Meter, active    

thanks all

6 REPLIES 6
WadeAlsup
A model citizen

Hi,

See https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Other_Topics/MS_Switch_SFP_and_SFP__Overview
While it is not “Meraki Certified,” it very well may work (I currently do not use any Meraki Certified sfp modules with no issues). Just know that you may have somewhat limited support with any issues regarding the use of non Meraki Certified parts.

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below) and If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution 🙂
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It will not work.  It only supports passive TwinAx cables.  And then only cables up to 3m in length are supported.

Thanks for the info, @PhilipDAth

Do you know where the documentation for that is? I can't seem to find but feel like I've had it before when I was researching for our implementation...

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below) and If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution 🙂

If you look at the cables that Meraki sells and you'll notice they are only passive and only in 1m and 3m lengths.

Cheers  Phil , much appreciated

thanks everyone who responded

Phil

Hi Phil, @PhilipDAth is correct that Meraki only supports passive twinax cables at this time, and only makes (and officially supports) the 1m and 3m passive twinax cables, MA-CBL-TA-1/3M.  However Meraki does not lock out non-Meraki optics modules, so in the wild there are cases where other non-Meraki SFP/SFP+ modules are in use.  I've certainly seen Meraki switches running non-Meraki optics, no special setting and no Support case required.  I have a couple of stacked MS350 switches in my own lab doing 20G cross stack link agg to a 3rd switch using 1 foot Cisco twinax cables, which I don't think is an official Cisco part/cable, they're not even in the Cisco GPL (you just cannot get/find SFP-H10GB-CU1F 1-foot twinax cables) and they certainly aren't Meraki parts, and it works just fine.   That said, I'm not going to promise the Cisco SFP-H10GB-CU5M (5 meter) twinax cable is or isn't going to work, but give it a shot and be pleasantly surprised.  While you likely couldn't use the 7 or 10m AOC parts, you could perhaps stretch that 3m to 5m with a Cisco SFP-H10GB-CU5M.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels