ARP Snooping detection

middlesexherb
Comes here often

ARP Snooping detection

Is there a way to detect ARP snooping (man in the middle attack), with the MS 250? I turned on DIA, but that didn't stop the test attack. It did prevent credentials from being captured. Is there anyway to stop an attack or at least detect it and notify?

6 Replies 6
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

you also disabled trust status on the port you tested?

middlesexherb
Comes here often

Yes, the only trusted ports go to another switch and the MX.
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

you also had already turned on dhcp snooping on your network for some time ?  not sure how this works at meraki but with catalyst the switch need to see dhcp packets first to fill the dhcp snooping  table.

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

@ww wrote:

you also had already turned on dhcp snooping on your network for some time ?  not sure how this works at meraki but with catalyst the switch need to see dhcp packets first to fill the dhcp snooping  table.

Oh wow... When I saw "DIA" in the first post it never clicked that was a typo for DAI. 

it must be Friday and my brain is already off for the weekend. 

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Lets assume we are only talking about IPv4.

You can block ARP spoofing.  Snooping is a different matter.

ARP queries are sent as a broadcast.  They go out every port in the VLAN that the host belongs to.  This is fundamental to ARP and there is no way to stop this.

So if you sit their with a packet sniffer you'll evenually capture enough ARP traffic to build up a list of (MAC,IP Address) combinations.

If you *really* want to stop ARP snooping put every port into its own seperate VLAN and use /30 stubs.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels