2 Post rack mounting for MS355-48X switches

Solved
Jinseng
Here to help

2 Post rack mounting for MS355-48X switches

We're moving into a new location that already has a wall hung rack and we can't switch it out.  The rack is about 20 inches deep and there are only front mounting locations (the back of the rack is bolted flush to the wall).  We'll need to get extensions for the front of the rack because the switches are so deep.  But is it safe to only use the front ears to rack these switches, or do we need to support the back as well.  This is the first time I've worked with these switches, or any switches that come with rails for the back.  The instructions only show diagrams of 4 post racks which I'm not used to using for networking equipment.

Thanks for your thoughts.

1 Accepted Solution
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Wow, I haven't done any Cisco Meraki switches with a rail kit yet.

Rather than getting an extension, can you get a shelf with a more central mount, so it is at least counter leavered?  Something like this:

https://www.racksolutions.com/20in-telco-rack-shelves.html 

Or could you lie the switch on the bottom of the rack?

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Wow, I haven't done any Cisco Meraki switches with a rail kit yet.

Rather than getting an extension, can you get a shelf with a more central mount, so it is at least counter leavered?  Something like this:

https://www.racksolutions.com/20in-telco-rack-shelves.html 

Or could you lie the switch on the bottom of the rack?

KRobert
Head in the Cloud

How much weight do the new racks hold? As long as the switch (13lbs) doesn't cause the rack to go over on weight you should be fine. The great thing about Meraki switches are that the rack ears are built in and provide more stability.

We have over 27 locations each with wall mounted racks and all appliances, including two rack mount UPSs are secured without worry or issues
CMNO, CCNA R+S

Since the back wall has plywood on it, we ended up screwing the rear rail brackets to the wall and resting the switches on the patch panels. It's not ideal, but at least they're supported toward the front and back. We did get two shelves for the MX250 firewalls because they're also too deep for this rack but don't come with back rails. I didn't see a model number, but I think this rack is a CPI 11807-718. Good thinking about the Weight limit. We're fine, but the rack holds less than I expected.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels