2 MS120-48P's - Unable to access local device status page for pre-configure

Solved
Crocker
Building a reputation

2 MS120-48P's - Unable to access local device status page for pre-configure

Finally received 2 MS120-48P switches that we've been waiting on for a couple months. Attempting to do the pre-configuration (set static IP address on uplink port, etc). Normally we do this using a non-domain laptop connected direct to the management port of the MS. Connect it up, wait for the management page to pop up, and away we go. Simple.

Today, on both of these newly-unboxed MS's, I'm seeing odd behavior:

• When something is connected to the management port, the port may or may not light up briefly, then goes dark
  • When something is connected to any of the front panel ports (1-48), the port may or may not light up briefly, then go dark
  • Multiple laptops exhibit this behavior with both switches
  • Multiple ethernet cables have been tried
  • If we try to skip the 'connect a laptop and configure' step and just connect a front-panel port to an uplink on on our closet switch, one that allows for internet access and DHCP, the port on the MS may or may not light up briefly, then goes dark
  • Tapping the reset button on the front of the switch has 0 impact on the behavior, no change after the switch reboots
  • Holding the reset button on the front of the switch for 10 seconds and forcing a reload also produces no differences in behavior after the switch reboots
  • Just for grins, if I connect two of the MS's switchports together, the link lights come up. Not sure what this tells me, other than that the link lights work

Am I missing something super obvious or did I win the lottery and get 2 DOA MS120's? That doesn't seem likely, right?

1 Accepted Solution
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Seems highly unlikely you received 2 defective switches.

Can you just connect them to something else, allow them to receive DHCP, and check into dashboard first so they can get a firmware update?

If there's no DHCP available and it needs a static then using the mgmt port or a front port should allow you to access the local status page. The mgmt port should hand out DHCP to your client. If using a front side regular LAN port you need to give your host a static IP and navigate to 1.1.1.100.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Seems highly unlikely you received 2 defective switches.

Can you just connect them to something else, allow them to receive DHCP, and check into dashboard first so they can get a firmware update?

If there's no DHCP available and it needs a static then using the mgmt port or a front port should allow you to access the local status page. The mgmt port should hand out DHCP to your client. If using a front side regular LAN port you need to give your host a static IP and navigate to 1.1.1.100.

Crocker
Building a reputation

On the 2nd switch, I was able to at least get link lights on the front LAN ports after a factory reset. Setting the static IP on my client allowed me to get to the local device management page, so that's good.

Ended up carting both switches back to our build room and connecting them straight in to just a run-of-the-mill cable ISP connection, off of our corporate network. Got link lights, DHCP'd addresses, connected right up to the dashboard. Both switches pulled a firmware update and installed it before booting fully, but have behaved as expected afterwords.

All good now, thanks for the suggestions!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels