Will the MA-PWR-30W power a MV52 camera?

Kenneth_C
New here

Will the MA-PWR-30W power a MV52 camera?

Will the MA-PWR-30W-US provide enough power for the MV52?  Its advertised as power for APs, but the specs reflect an output of 12V which is should be enough for the camera.

Thanks in advance.
Ken

5 Replies 5
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Technically yes it can work. But you'd need an adapter for the barrel connector side of the power supply. I've used this one as a way to connect this power supply to our low voltage power adapter then eth/PoE out to Cameras and APs.

Or I suppose one could just cut the end of the power supply and expose the wires and connect it into the block on the MV52. Obviously that's stepping further outside the box.

Kenneth_C
New here

Thanks for the quick reply.  Is there an external injection source that would be more plug-and-play?  While I don't mind a little soldering / wire splicing... not sure our customer would want that in a corporate environment.  Also not sure why they want to use an external power supply for the camera.  I'll provide the option to use the external POE injector.

The typical powering options for a camera would be PoE (switch or injector) for sure

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Is there any reason you can't use a PoE injector?  Like MA-INJ-4 or MA-INJ-5?  Here is a link for the second one:

https://meraki.cisco.com/product/wi-fi/wireless-accessories/wireless-accessories-power/ma-inj-5-us/ 

Taking a step back, what is the situation that has led to you wanting to use a power cube?

Not sure of the reason the customer wants to go with external power.  They just said they want to power the camera off the pigtail. 

It could be that they don't have PoE capabilities on the switch.  In which case, the power injectors mentioned above could work for them.  We've sent the information, just waiting on feedback.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.  

Ken

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.