PVM solution (again)

jwoodok
Here to help

PVM solution (again)

When we first added Meraki cameras I asked about a PVM solution for monitors by our back doors.  At the time nothing existed, is that still the case?

What we ended up doing at the time was finding the IP of the camera stream and just launching it in VLC on a PC.  This works pretty well, but there's a caveat - I don't recall this being a huge issue initially but there is a massive lag now for when things show up on the screen from the time they are on camera of up to 2 minutes, which makes our solution kind of pointless.  Would love it if there was another solution available now.

6 Replies 6
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

RTSP stream should be near real time.

You could also try our upcoming Apple TV app https://documentation.meraki.com/MV/Viewing_Video/Meraki_Display_Introduction 

I don't believe it is RTSP stream per se.  When we did this, RTSP was not an option, so we were able to capture the URL of the mp4 stream of the camera logging into the dashboard and open it with VLC.  It seems that it was pretty much real time initially, so I'm not sure why that's no longer the case.  These are Gen 1 cameras so my understanding is that RTSP is not an option.

jwoodok
Here to help

Hi,

I thought I'd check back on this as it's continued to be an issue.  Again, these are Gen1 outdoor cameras but we are accessing them via the direct mp4 stream, yet they are still very delayed.  Any suggestions on how to overcome this?

jwoodok
Here to help

@Ryan_Miles Do you have any further information you could give me? Please see my followup to your comments.

On a gen1 camera you don't have much choice. RTSP isn't supported. So it's dashboard viewing only.

Well yes and no - we were able to find the .mp4 stream and open it with VLC..which I know is not necessarily supported, but why in the world would it be delayed?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.