Meraki 4k: MV22X and MV72X

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Meraki 4k: MV22X and MV72X

I have some questions about the new 4k cameras - mostly because I am spec'ing up some solutions and I would like them to work.  Perhaps @Saralyn or @GeorgeB like like to add some info.

Are the GPU requirements likely to be the same for the 4k cameras with video walls, or will I need to use a GPU twice as powerful (or some other multiplier) than I am used to using?

The MV12 has a 4k picture element but outputs processed 1080p.  Is people (and vehicle) detection performed on the raw (4k) or processed image (1080)?

When using the snapshot API with the 4k cameras will I get a much higher quality image back than the 1080 cameras?

I don't understand the maths.  A 4k camera output seems to me like it should have 4 times as many pixel elements as a 1080 camera.  How come the quality is only twice as good?

4 REPLIES 4
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi @PhilipDAth note it is 4 megapixels, which is not 4K, it is 4MP.  The cameras have 4MP sensors, and can do 720p, 1080p and 4MP = 1440p (2560x1440) often called Quad HD.  4K requires 8MP (Ultra HD at 2160p) which is a different set of optics not in the MV cameras yet.  Customers tend to ask about 4K because 4K TVs are becoming so common now.  For cameras, 4K is still very expensive and with huge storage requirements, and likely isn't needed for most use cases.  Vehicle detection is on the MV72/72X only at this time, not on the MV12. 

Also, I'll let the MV team comment on the GPU requirements, but remember that even if a camera's view on a video wall is <540 lines, it will automatically shift to adaptive bitrate streaming and only require 400Kbps, even if you have the camera set for 1080p or 4MP.

>Also, I'll let the MV team comment on the GPU requirements, but remember that even if a camera's view on a video wall is <540 lines, it will automatically shift to adaptive bitrate streaming and only require 400Kbps, even if you have the camera set for 1080p or 4MP.

I have tried using 12 camera video walls on a high spec i7 workstation with cameras configured for 1080p - and it was terrible.  I've been using Nvidia P1000 GPUs, and they have been great (apart from Nvidia driver bugs - but touch wood, the latest driver released this month seems to have everything working nicely).

Interesting, are you able to adjust the video wall accordingly to force the high or low bit rate streams shown by the up/down green arrows?  If not, I'd open a ticket to investigate and confirm the cameras are in fact sticking to the 400Kbps.  https://documentation.meraki.com/MV/Viewing_Video/Video_Streaming#Adaptive_bitrate_streaming 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.