MV Smart Camera over an MG Cellular Gateway

Solved
RobertGardner
Here to help

MV Smart Camera over an MG Cellular Gateway

Is anyone running MV Smart Cameras over an MG Cellular Gateway?

If so, are you able to let me know how you've hooked them together and what the performance is like?

1 Accepted Solution

The MG cell gateway is typically meant as a device that connects to an edge router/firewall providing internet access. So yes, you'd typically have other things involved in a network like a firewalls & switches.

For your use case just having a MG & MV should work keeping in mind the MG is a simple NAT router and not a full blown stateful firewall.

You'd need to power the MG and MV with something external like PoE injectors.

Or you could consider using a MX with integrated cellular like the MX67C, MX68CW, or Z3C.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Do you mean a MV connected directly to a LAN port of a MG or just MV(s) on a LAN with the MG being the upstream WAN connection? Performance over cellular is going to depend on your connection quality/speed.

Hi @Ryan_Miles , I'm not sure how to connect the MV and MG together. That's the reason for my post. Can they be directly connected or do they need a MS switch in between? Also, what is the best way to provide them both with power?

As per performance, it's always going to depend of the 4G/LTE connection at the location of the MG. 

Does Meraki or any of their customers have any experience in using the MV & MG this way? Or has every MV that Meraki has been sole been connected to a wired LAN/WAN?

Our company has a requirement to attach surveillance cameras to trailers which are parked on the sides of roads to monitor traffic. These trailers have solar power & batteries to provide power. I was hoping Meraki would have a solution for the Cameras, Recording and network connectivity. But if not, I'll need to look at other vendors instead.

The MG cell gateway is typically meant as a device that connects to an edge router/firewall providing internet access. So yes, you'd typically have other things involved in a network like a firewalls & switches.

For your use case just having a MG & MV should work keeping in mind the MG is a simple NAT router and not a full blown stateful firewall.

You'd need to power the MG and MV with something external like PoE injectors.

Or you could consider using a MX with integrated cellular like the MX67C, MX68CW, or Z3C.

RobertGardner
Here to help

Thanks Ryan. I'll reach out to my Meraki reseller to get a quote on the MX68CW, which seems to be the only model with integrated LTE and PoE ports (to power the MV).

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.