MT20 not finding MR42 as gateway

Solved
MeVan
Here to help

MT20 not finding MR42 as gateway

Hello. I had my MT20 sensor working previously with the same MR42. The only difference is they are now both in a new network. When I press the button on the MT20 I see the LED cycle through the rainbow colors and it stops on amber for a few seconds then shuts off. It never connects to the MR42. 

I also see the sensor will occassionaly activate on it's own, presumably looking for a gateway. I'd like to know how frequently it does this as I won't physically be at this location much longer. 

Can you tell me how I can troubleshoot this further? I've been looking on the MR42 (Dashboard -> Wireless) settings and cannot find anything indicating a connection to the sensor. 

1 Accepted Solution
MilesMeraki
Head in the Cloud

This Guide may help you to troubleshoot;

https://documentation.meraki.com/MT/MT_Installation_Guides/MT_Troubleshooting_Guide

I'd check a few things if it was working fine previosuly;

- Doesthe new network have different firmware settings being applied to the MR access point? Is this set to 26.7+ Fimrware?
- Is the MR access point being powered by the same power source? If not check to ensure the AP is running in full power mode. (Instructions in the KB article attached will help)
Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
MilesMeraki
Head in the Cloud

This Guide may help you to troubleshoot;

https://documentation.meraki.com/MT/MT_Installation_Guides/MT_Troubleshooting_Guide

I'd check a few things if it was working fine previosuly;

- Doesthe new network have different firmware settings being applied to the MR access point? Is this set to 26.7+ Fimrware?
- Is the MR access point being powered by the same power source? If not check to ensure the AP is running in full power mode. (Instructions in the KB article attached will help)
Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

When you moved the MR to this new network did you also make sure to set it for the latest beta 28.5 release? MR42 needs to be on 28.x to support the MT's. 

A newly created MR network would default to the current stable of 27.7.1 and that doesn't support the MT connection with older Wi-Fi 5 AP's like the MR42.

Thanks for the responses. I had no idea firmware could rollback when moved to a new network. I updated the firmware in the new network and it's now working fine! 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.