MQTT

EricWenger
Here to help

MQTT

So… my sensors are great. But I can’t seem to make them talk to my home automation hub I use for the rest of my house. MQTT looks to be the way to do that? So I need to set up a server to act as an MQTT broker? Tips? Tricks?

5 Replies 5
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Which home automation system are you using?  Which sensors have you got?

Many of them have a built-in MQTT server, so there might not be much to setup.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

And yes, MQTT would be the first approach I would choose.

Larry_Woods
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Would check this out.  https://wirelesslywired.com/2022/06/06/meraki-mt-mqtt-node-red-amp-home-assistant-auto-discovery/

A lot of us here are Cisco Meraki have been playing with Home Assistant with NodeRed and man its been pretty fun building things out.  That blog was written by @WirelesslyWired and its a fantastic guide on getting started if you really want to get dirty with Home Automation things.  

Thanks Larry, I know that Home Assistant has the MQTT and Node Red path. I actually moved off of HA to hubitat about a year ago for other reasons. And I would prefer not to have to move platforms again to do this! Any tips on Hubitat would be welcome! Thanks!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.