web usage report

ZDonaldson
Getting noticed

web usage report

All,

I am brand-new to Meraki (but not new to network security devices) and need help locating a feature:  how do I create a report of a particular user's internet usage?  I need to see the websites this user has been accessing for a particular time period. It would be nice if I could also see the time spent browsing.  and of course, the ability to export this report so that I can provide it to the employee's manager is required.

every firewall/security device I have ever worked with has included this function but I can't find it on the Meraki.  Can someone point me in the right direction?

Zane D - IT Manager in Sin City NV
6 REPLIES 6
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The best you can do is:

Network-Wide/Clients/<select time span at the top>/<select the client>/<click "show details" on the right

To get detailed info you need "Traffic analysis" set t collect host names under Network-Wide/General.

thanks, that gets me close to what I need...can't export it though to provide to non-IT staff.

and I've used some, specifically Fortigate, that do a great job of analyzing the web conversation and grouping all of the requests together...Meraki's is not a very complete solution compared to other products.

Zane D - IT Manager in Sin City NV

That is what we've been finding out is a "Jack of all trades and master of none" solution.

- Routing (static only)

- Firewall (very rudimentary rules allowed) 

- Traffic shaping - limited

- Client VPN - limited (all or none approach, can't give some clients more/less access than others)

- Web filtering - well, you mentioned it. Can't really get user reports...

Guess your options are then to die one of the possible deaths:

• Pay more and have all bells and whistles available (Cisco, Palo, (Check Point))
  • Pay a little bit more and have a very inconsistent management / analysis (Forti*)
  • Pay less and delve into a world of „interesting“ management and buggy software (Ubiquity)

Don‘t know about e.g. Sophos who could be a challenger in that field.

Another option:

• Buy web filters separetly (Barracuda, BlueCoat, etc.)
  • Buy Firewalls without subscription (Cisco, Fortigate) or free pfSense / OPNSence
  • Buy SD-WAN from Fortigate or Palo, since MX doesn't do SD-WAN at all:)

Pay your admins / engineers more to addminister all this stuff😀

MilesMeraki
Head in the Cloud

Take a look at the Summary Report feature - https://documentation.meraki.com/MX-Z/Monitoring_and_Reporting/Summary_Report_Overview. I don't know if you can get as granular to export a report to a specific client, however, gives you something to work with. 

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels