vMX100 maximum concurrent VPN tunnels?

SOLVED
Stewart
Conversationalist

vMX100 maximum concurrent VPN tunnels?

Is there a limitation as to how many concurrent VPN tunnels a single vMX100 can support?

I understand the VPN throughput is 500 Mbps however, I cant find any reference to the maximum number of VPN Tunnels like the other other MX appliances (Sizing Guide). 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Officially, the sizing should be equal to the MX100 so 250 tunnels. That said, this document by Aaron Willette says that that number is a bit conservative and replaced it with 500:

https://www.willette.works/meraki-mx-sizing/

I believe Aaron is the global leader of the Meraki SE's one of the Systems Engineering Directors so the information is likely based on solid experience.

It wouldn't hurt to consult your local Meraki SE about it though.

Edit: Edited my statement about Aaron based on Dave's info below.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Officially, the sizing should be equal to the MX100 so 250 tunnels. That said, this document by Aaron Willette says that that number is a bit conservative and replaced it with 500:

https://www.willette.works/meraki-mx-sizing/

I believe Aaron is the global leader of the Meraki SE's one of the Systems Engineering Directors so the information is likely based on solid experience.

It wouldn't hurt to consult your local Meraki SE about it though.

Edit: Edited my statement about Aaron based on Dave's info below.

Confirmed, the vMX is sized with the same parameters as the MX100 appliance.  That is today, and is the "official" response but we have seen some larger deployments.  That doesn't mean it's unsupported or anything beyond those scale numbers, which is the guideline, not a hard limit. 

[Edit] @BrechtSchamp I thought for a moment my friend Aaron got a huge promotion!  Had to go check my org chart, haha.  He is one of the Systems Engineering Directors, not quite the global SE leader, not yet anyway 🙂 

@MerakiDave All right, thanks for clearing that up. I didn't realize there were multiple SE directors. If only there were a publicly accessible org chart :P.

@BrechtSchamp Haha, I have trouble even keeping track of our internal org charts, which I'll call a "pleasantly annoying" side effect of Meraki's growth, which has been exciting to watch.  To see a multi-billion dollar segment of Cisco growing at double digit YoY growth... that just doesn't happen in the IT industry unless there's something very special about the solution.  So yes, lots of new hires and also a good number of promotions, so the org chart is certainly expanding.  Aaron and I were actually in the same new-hire SE class a few years ago and is now an SE Director.  I don't report to him, although I might be under his leadership if he's promoted yet again! 

Sorry @Stewart didn't mean to take over the thread with this side discussion.  Let us know if we can still help on vMX100 questions!  And if the scaling factors of vMX100 are not able to accommodate your requirements, don't give up or count it out, discuss with your local Cisco/Meraki reps, because there is a feature request in place, and the MX PM team is collecting opportunities and use cases and will consider development for a higher capacity vMX.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels