'clone' physical MX config to migrate to virtual (Azure) MX

SOLVED
mulasien
Conversationalist

'clone' physical MX config to migrate to virtual (Azure) MX

Hello all, forgive me if this has been answered, but my search-fu is lacking.

We have an existing on-premises MX that acts as the center of our hub/spoke VPN topology to other Meraki remote sites.

We want to migrate the functionality of the on-prem MX into an Azure virtual MX which will take over the role of the hub/spoke VPN network.

What is the preferred method of 'cloning' the configuration of the existing appliance so that it can be copied to the virtual MX to essentially pick up where it left off?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MilesMeraki
Head in the Cloud

The following setup document outlines the steps for a vMX creation in Azure. In reality, when you create the network you could clone the network where your existing DC MX is sitting. 

I'd probably start with a greenfields design for the Azure side as I'd assume there would be some form of co-existence with the existing DC network and you'd therefore want to ensure there isn't overlapping addressing etc.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/MX_Installation_Guides/vMX_Setup_Guide_for_Microsoft_Azure

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
MilesMeraki
Head in the Cloud

The following setup document outlines the steps for a vMX creation in Azure. In reality, when you create the network you could clone the network where your existing DC MX is sitting. 

I'd probably start with a greenfields design for the Azure side as I'd assume there would be some form of co-existence with the existing DC network and you'd therefore want to ensure there isn't overlapping addressing etc.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/MX_Installation_Guides/vMX_Setup_Guide_for_Microsoft_Azure

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hmm, cloning the network for a VMX will probably do nothing.  The AutoVPN configuration (hub, spoke) is not cloned (the cloned network will default to autovpn off).  Any existing spokes will still point to the original hub.  It will copy the timezone and other settings.

I'm with @MilesMeraki .  Create a brand new network for the VMX.  Then just point the existing spokes at it.

mulasien
Conversationalist

I appreciate the feedback, everyone. Most helpful.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels