Z3C - Public WiFi Access

Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

Z3C - Public WiFi Access

I am proceeding with testing the Z3C, and so far it has been great.

However, I cannot find any way of taking the Z3C on the train and using the on-board WiFi. Sometimes the LTE coverage is very patchy and the train WiFi is more robust than the LTE service.

Is it feasible to look forward to being able to attach the Z3 to a public hotspot?

This appears to be an overlooked or even an undocumented capability.

Is there a USB cludge-around to connect to a mobile phone and use the phone's connection to the public WiFi service?

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
6 Replies 6
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

According to this post there it doesn't work:

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Security-SD-WAN/USB-Tethering-as-3G-4G-uplink/td-p/21122

I'm impressed you take a Z3C with you on the train ^^.

@BrechtSchamp wrote:

I'm impressed you take a Z3C with you on the train ^^.

If you sit in the correct seats, you can find a power point on most of the new trains. London to Marseille with my laptop. The SIM in the Z3C has LTE roaming across Europe, leaving my phone free for calls. I haven't mastered the art of using my phone as a hotspot and taking a phone call without the laptop losing the connection.

A lot of us are happy to take the train (in my case the station is only a few minutes away) and once on board we are able to work and have have food/drink brought to the seat (with table if you book ahead). The entire process of flying has become very stale, and comparative door to door times show that flying is often not quicker. Although one might have to work out the best way of clearing Schengen controls.

I see! I've seen people use battery powered mobile LTE routers before, so there's definitely a market for it.

You mentioned that you'd like to connect the Z3C to the WiFi hotspot. Is there a reason why you can't connect directly to that hotspot from your laptop?

@BrechtSchamp wrote:

I see! I've seen people use battery powered mobile LTE routers before, so there's definitely a market for it.

You mentioned that you'd like to connect the Z3C to the WiFi hotspot. Is there a reason why you can't connect directly to that hotspot from your laptop?

The fewer applications on the laptop, the easier it is to sort out. So I prefer to have all the VPN type stuff on the gateway, which Meraki is very good at, and I am precluded from using the Huawei alternative. ;-[]

That makes sense. Meraki really should bring Anyconnect to MX.

Liquid_Insanity
New here

I use a POS USB Powered adapter from amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014SK2H6W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

it's not perfect, and requires you to configure it to the wifi with your laptop, then plug it into the meraki. 

I'm sure theres better ones, but thats what I've got.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels