Z3 Templates Addressing and Vlans

MarvinV
Comes here often

Z3 Templates Addressing and Vlans

We are using Z3's and are using templates to help maintain consistency and to ease deployment. We have set the template up for vlans so that we can manage and define each port of the Z3. The issue is if we want to enable/disable a port on a single Z3, that is part of a template, we are not able to do this. You have to manage the ports in the template which affects all Z3's that are part of the template. We need the ability to at least enable/disable the port of a single z3 to help with issues within a single location. Anyone else run into this? I also made a wish for this though it would be nice to see if this feature has ever been requested and if its on the radar to add.

7 REPLIES 7
JReylander
New here

Yep, I have this problem too. I don't seem to be able to set unique VLAN information at my individual networks when I utilize the templates.  I am not seeing how this can be used to ease deployment if the VLAN information is going to be the same for every template it binds too.  Also, when you combine a network with the security appliance and wireless it will not let you track via IP address - The issue is that it seems that templates automatically switch to a combined mode. 

I need to add a wishlist for allowing you to pin down what actually transfers during a template.

Mr_IT_Guy
A model citizen

I've made a topic just like this: https://community.meraki.com/t5/Dashboard-Administration/Wish-Template-improvements/m-p/1036

I feel your pain!

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

To disable a port on a single Z3 (or any MX) that is part of a template use the local status page.  You can disable the whole Ethernet port.

@PhilipDAth, I am aware of this work around as well. The problem is that this should be something I can do from the dashboard and not having to have a work around for. Also, from the local status page, I cannot change the vLAN of the port. Templates should have a little more flexibility to them.

In less I'm missing something the issue I see with the local status page is how to access it in our deployment. We have Z3 appliances that sit behind a cable modem at a users house. How is one supposed to access the local status page as the cable modem/and or a soho router at the users house is not going to allow an inbound connection to the meraki unless you have configured it to do so. Not really an option.

You must give the Z3 is an IP address when you setup the vLAN on the device. As long as that vLAN is participating in Site-to-Site VPN and you are inside your network, you can navigate to the IP of the vLAN's MX IP in a web browser. This will allow you to access the local status page.

Good point. I'll get my firewall opened up to allow the access and I should be good. Thanks for the info.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels