Z1 on a connection serving guest wifi for 10-15 users?

SOLVED
george26
New here

Z1 on a connection serving guest wifi for 10-15 users?

Would anyone use a z1 on a connection serving guest wifi for 10-15 users?  2 options for internet speeds are 16/3 or 50/10, which customer will probably go with the lesser.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

I'd agree with @MerakiJockey505 in that I wouldn't be using a Z1 for 10-15 users, its aimed for more around the 5 user mark. Depending on your requirements, whether you need any wired ports at the site, you could do a MX64W or MX65W, or just the MX64 or MX65 with an 'small' external access point, maybe the MR33 - you get more flexibility\capability with the MR series than with the wireless built into the MX/Z devices. The other option if you only need wireless is the MR Teleworker VPN, but I've never used it so I can't vouch for whether it works well or not - others may be able to. As to the bandwidth, that's a bit subjective, it all depends what the staff at the remote site are going to be doing. If they're going to be pulling large amounts of data from the parent site over the VPN then I'd be recommending the larger bandwidth, on the other hand if they're mainly autonomous and occasionally accessing Office 365 for email, for example, then you might get away with the smaller bandwidth.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
MerakiJockey505
Building a reputation

Depending on usage I would say 10-15 users on a 16/3 would create some issues.  It might be more beneficial to go with an MX64 and Base level AP (MR30H?) to get past bandwidth restrictions.  I've seen it done with a z1 as both a home router and small telecommuter circles but never at high usage.  I think the whitepaper even suggests its recommendation at 50Mbps for 5 users.  Hope this helps. 

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

I'd agree with @MerakiJockey505 in that I wouldn't be using a Z1 for 10-15 users, its aimed for more around the 5 user mark. Depending on your requirements, whether you need any wired ports at the site, you could do a MX64W or MX65W, or just the MX64 or MX65 with an 'small' external access point, maybe the MR33 - you get more flexibility\capability with the MR series than with the wireless built into the MX/Z devices. The other option if you only need wireless is the MR Teleworker VPN, but I've never used it so I can't vouch for whether it works well or not - others may be able to. As to the bandwidth, that's a bit subjective, it all depends what the staff at the remote site are going to be doing. If they're going to be pulling large amounts of data from the parent site over the VPN then I'd be recommending the larger bandwidth, on the other hand if they're mainly autonomous and occasionally accessing Office 365 for email, for example, then you might get away with the smaller bandwidth.

BHC_RESORTS
Head in the Cloud

@george26 wrote:

Would anyone use a z1 on a connection serving guest wifi for 10-15 users?  2 options for internet speeds are 16/3 or 50/10, which customer will probably go with the lesser.

The Z1 is designed as a telecommuter device. Consequently, it has a much lower CPU than the normal MX line. It also doesn't have a lot of the more advanced features that the MX line has.

16/3 is pretty rough for even 1 user. What is the purpose of the guest WiFi? If it is just in a bar or restaurant or something, it is likely people won't use it much for things other than checking in to Facebook or looking at directions. If it is in an environment like a hotel or something else where people are going to be for a while, that won't do.

Traffic shaping isn't really granular on the Z1. I'd recommend an MX64 plus an AP. The MX64W or the MX65W isn't as robust on the WiFi. Remember, MX64s and an AP (model varies now I hear) are available via webinars for qualified attendees. I'd check that out!

BHC Resorts IT Department

Thanks for all of the input. I think I'll go with the MX64 plus an AP - appreciate the recommendation (and the webinar suggestion Smiley Wink)

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels