cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 built in VPN Client will not hold settings

New here

Windows 10 built in VPN Client will not hold settings

Hello,

I have been having an issue with VPN connections on some windows 10 Machines, this does not happen on windows 7 and while not all Windows 10 Machines are affected it seems this is the only common factor.

The issue is as follows:

VPN is setup initially either from "Settings" or "Control Panel".

User credentials and VPN settings are entered in the Settings menu

After then going to control panel and changing the protocol to "PAP", the user authentication changes to "General Authentication" which would remove their credentials.

If you setup the PAP protocol first via. control panel, then enter the user credentials under the "Settings" menu, the PAP option (Use following Protocol) will be unselected. I have set up VPN connections multiple time within Windows 10, but have need seen anything like this. Any and all help would be appreciated.

3 REPLIES
Here to help

Re: Windows 10 built in VPN Client will not hold settings

Hi There,

We've also experienced this and its starting to get a bit of a pain. What we have done as a workaround is extract the PBK file from the APPData folder and stick this on the desktop. It seems to be something to do with the Windows 10 Metro.

The location is:

%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Network\Connections\Pbk\rasphone.pbk

This works a charm

Conversationalist

I picked this up on this forum somewhere. Best thing I've found is to create the saved VPN entry using Powershell:

Add-VpnConnection -Name $ConnectionName -ServerAddress $ServerAddress -AllUserConnection -TunnelType L2tp -L2tpPsk $PresharedKey -AuthenticationMethod Pap -EncryptionLevel Optional -Force

Run this in powershell as administrator and it will add the entry to all users on that device. Replace the $variables as appropriate. Windows 10 doesn't support required encryption for PAP - you can see for yourself if you change this to "-EncryptionLevel Required'.

Tell your users to enter the user name and password each time. Do not set it to remember.

We prefer to setup clients with RADIUS authentication with NPS, so having them manually enter the password saves my help desk grief. If the credential is saved, we get a ton of "my VPN doesn't work" tickets because the end user's changed their Windows password.

Highlighted
EP1
New here

We've had a similar experience with the settings changing.

For more than 3 months, we've been using a pair of Meraki MX65's integrated with Active Directory for VPN access.
During this time many users have experienced an odd behavior.
The VPN stops connecting, with the connection dialog hung.
On another machine I'll verify that VPN is working.
When we review the Windows VPN client settings we find that the security setting on the VPN network adapter have changed back to the default settings.
Numerous users have had this experience (including myself) and they all say they've not been in the adapter settings, or changed the settings.

Sometimes we can get it working by setting the VPN network adapter security settings back to Meraki recommended.
Often it works better to delete and recreate the whole VPN client connection, both the VPN settings and the network adapter.

I'll give these work arounds a try.