Why devices not get assigned to intended VLAN?

Mak
Here to help

Why devices not get assigned to intended VLAN?

I setup up 3 VLANs in my home using Meraki Go Firewall Plus GX50, and assigned devices to respective VLAN using their MAC address. However, after rebooting all GX50, the switch and all devices, their are still being allocated to the default VLAN 192.168.128.xxx instead of to the respective intended VLAN created. Also, I am unable to delete and remove the default VLAN too.  Please advise how to get this setup correctly so that I can make good use of the VLANs I have created using GX50.  Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Mak,  you don't assign devices to a VLAN using their mac address unless you are using an enterprise 802.1x deployment.  If you have created all the VLANs then you need to set the ports the devices are connected to as access ports with the desired VLAN. 

Mak
Here to help

Hi CMR, Good Day! Beside the WAN Post, there are only 4 ports available for use on GX50, and one had been used to connect to my Netgear Switch, so leaving only 3 remaining Ports that can be used.

Also, how do I set or assign those 3 remaining Ports to individual VLAN as it appears that there is no such setting option available on GX50?

OVERKILL
Building a reputation

Is your netgear switched a managed switch capable of 802.1Q? It needs to be in order to handle VLANs. 

To assign different VLAN's to specific ports:

1. Security & SD-WAN

2. Addressing & VLANs

3. Scroll down to "Per port VLAN settings"

Hi Overkill-

Yes, I have the Netgear XS716T Layer 2+Layer 3 lite Managed Switch that capable of 802.1Q and Static Routing.

I connected Port No.4 on the Meraki Go Firewall GX50 to Port No. 4 on XS716T Switch and set both Ports as VLAN 4 on Meraki GX50 and XS716T.

Then, I connected the WAN Port my Orbi Router (set up as Access Point) to Port No. 5 on the XS716T Switch and set this Port No. 5 as VLAN 4 too.

Now the problem is, all the devices connected through the WiFi on Orbi still showing the IP address of the default VLAN 1 on Meraki GX50 (i.e. 192.168.128.x) instead of the IP address range that should be 192.168.4.x

In other words, it seems that those devices connected through Orbi still sit on the default VLAN 1 even though it is connected to Port No. 5 on XS716T that is setup as VLAN 4.

Please advise which step I could have done incorrectly causing this issue.  Thanks!

OVERKILL
Building a reputation

OK, so, if you are going to be using Port 4 on both devices to connect each other, and assuming you have the VLAN's setup on the GX50 properly already:

1. On the GX50, set the port mode to "trunk", you can keep VLAN1 as native. 

2. On the XS716T setup the VLAN's that you have defined already on the GX50. This is covered on page 130 of your manual:

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/XS708T/XS708T_XS716T_UM_EN.pdf

3. On the XS716T you'll be looking to setup the equivalent of the port mode to "trunk", also leaving VLAN1 as native. You may have to just setup the port with VLAN1 as untagged and tag your other VLANs, I don't use much Netgear equipment and some manufacturers use different language. 

4. Assuming your Orbi isn't setup to handle VLAN traffic, you want to setup Port 5 as being an access only port with VLAN4 being untagged. 

This assumes you want to have different devices connected to different VLAN's on that switch. If the only thing connected to it is going to be that Orbi, then the easiest way is to just set the port on the GX50 to an access port, assign it to VLAN4 and then only VLAN4 traffic will hit the switch.

Hi Overkill-

I think I have correctly setup step 1 & 2. However, I am not sure I understand what you meant from step 3 onward.

I attached some screenshots of my current settings. Slides 1 & 2 are configurations in GX50 and slides 3 to 7 are configuration in XS716T.  Please help review and comment on slides no. 6 & 7, especially on areas I circled on slide no. 7.  

Thanks in advance for your help.

1.png2.png3.png4.png5.png6.png7.jpg

OVERKILL
Building a reputation

Assuming the Orbi isn't doing 802.1Q, and you only want VLAN4 on Port 5. 

Looking at your last two screenshots, you want:

- Port 4, VLAN1 untagged, VLAN4 tagged, because the port this is coming over on from the firewall, which should have 1 untagged, 4 tagged. 

- Port 5, VLAN4 untagged, and only that VLAN allowed on the port (currently, you have 1 untagged on that port, 4 tagged).

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels